Skull with roses

kof

Hello every one,
This is my last work engraved on titanium .

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I owe you an apology, kof. When I saw the thread subject "skull with roses" I was assuming another poorly engraved overdone skull design. I was wrong! It's very nicely done and I especially like the way you did the flowers. Very nice cut....congrats!

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I owe you an apology, kof. When I saw the thread subject "skull with roses" I was assuming another poorly engraved overdone skull design. I was wrong! It's very nicely done and I especially like the way you did the flowers. Very nice cut....congrats!

me, too. sooo many works in this genre are done so badly i admit to hesitating even bothering to click on some threads. now something absolutely delightful like this comes along, which will only encourage me to continue looking at these posts, many of which will contain a bunch of execrable detritus. so ultimately, kof, you'll end up owing me an apology. let's call it even, shall we?

kof

Thank you very much for your comments which go straight to my heart.
It is true that the skulls are not my favorite, but I've tried to Take affected a little poetry, a little bit. (And this thanks to your videos Sam)

Well, anodizing small with a very light polishing of irregular band to give it a shiny effect and old paper, but it is not clear in the pictures (conducted toothpick mounted dremmel with polishing paste)

I put some pictures of better quality.

Again thank you and goodbye to another subject.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
That's a very striking design! The color really makes it come alive. Very well done :clapping:

JOEYS CARVED ART

Elite Cafe Member
This looks great and I understand that some skulls (and other things) are overdone and done badly, but some of us don't have the raw talent that it takes to do this level of artwork no matter how much we practice. We all progress in our carvings some a lot more than others, some of us are proud of what we do even if it has not the slightest comparison to high end work. If these forums were only for showing high-end work and the work of the pro's, a lot of us would be discouraged to even start engraving. I am sorry that you don't want to see my crappy artwork or carvings, but who else am I going to show them to so I can get some kind of feedback on what I am doing wrong. Maybe I am taking this the wrong way and taking it out of perspective, if so I apologize for being brash.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Joey, sorry if we offended you. what Sam & i were saying is that there are certain styles of art that have become extremely popular fads and therefore are attempted by far more would-be artists. skulls, dragons, etc., which are currently very popular among tattoo fans tend to result in a lot of sub-standard 'art' simply due to soooo much of it being out there. also, these styles/images have been done to death, and have therefore become less interesting to many of us by dint of their ubiquity. "It's been done." kof's work is a delightful exception.

in short, our comments were more directed at the subject matter than anything else. if you're going to do something that virtually every other artist/graphic designer/tattooist on the planet has already done ad infinitum ad nauseum, you'd better bring something special.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
A good comparison would be the Celtic knots that were once a huge fad.

You'd see badly done work done in that style everywhere. (In fact you still do, just not as much)

Eventually people get jaded and don't bother to look at it anymore.

The work on this knife is NOT at all in the "common" class!

Go back and look at the "Likes" it got. I was one of the first.

Brian

Last edited:

JOEYS CARVED ART

Elite Cafe Member
I understand, like I had said, I apologize for misunderstanding or taking it out of perspective. I definitely took it the wrong way, I don't want to ruffle any feathers. That is not my knife, I could never do that good on anything, especially titanium.

Billzach

Elite Cafe Member
Joey, I have been coin carving 17 years and will be glad to comment on your carvings if you will post some photos, I have only carved one skull carving so other carvers could help you out more then me on skull carvings..[ps] Brian mentioned the word improve, after 17 years of coin carving sometimes 50 hours a week I still see the need for improvement on every coin I carve.

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Joey
Free advise from Billzack,
I would jump on this , one of the modern master coin carvers.

sanch

Elite Cafe Member
I imagine that when I can finally get to posting my "art" it will get critiqued and it will be just that a critique that's how an artist improves. I have been drawing since I could hold something to scrawl a line with and have learned many different media charcoal, watercolor, airbrush blablabla.....the thing is there will always be those who say it looks fabulous and those that scoff or laugh...then there are those that offer the "real" critique and offer to lend a hand per say by giving advise.take it..take your bruises I know I'll get mine hopefully I will learn from them cause I'm getting old and I heal slower than I use to!