Graver Demagnetizer

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
An old mechanic's trick to "magnetize" a screwdriver or other tool is to coil wire around it and momentarily touch the ends to the posts on a battery, yet yours demagnetizes the tool. Is the difference that one is AC and one is DC current?

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I found that passing the graver over the top of the black plastic body of a soldering gun demagnetizes it quite well. You'll feel a slight magnetic pull as you do this. Of course you must be pulling the trigger.

Gents,

Yep, you are all correct. Many ways to get the job done.

The coil works well and can be done by anyone with a hardware store nearby and a little bit wire and effort.

Sam has it beat for simplicity though.

Regards,

Matt

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
a way to totally eliminate gravers mecoming magnetized-- shove the graver tip about an inch into a potato. let the tip remain in the potato for about 2 hours minimum. overnight is better. guaranteed the graver will never become magnetic ! in the southern hemisphere an apple must be used.

mrthe

I have but months ago a magnetizer/demagnetizer screwdriver in plastic with two holes,no buttons,but i don't know if i make something wrong don't work well for me ,any advice?

Andrew Biggs

Hi Mrthe

I had a demagnetizer which was a cube with a hole in each end and it was about the size of a golf ball.........and it didn't work.

So I brought a cheap demagnetizer off the internet and it works perfectly. This is the type and you can get them on e-bay. You can also buy them at electrical hobby stores.

Cheers
Andrew

Attachments

• demaganatiser.jpg
    demaganatiser.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 279

mrthe

Thank you Andrew i will check one that can work with 220 V,i have one of this

but i don't know if i use it wrong but don't work for demagnetize

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
All of the posted de-manetizers work, of course,

Here are photos of what I have found to be both effective, well positioned, and inexpensive. A $10 bathroom (fan household line voltage) will work. Throw away the fan and rotor leaving only the stator. By the way, a motor stator which is plugged into the mains voltage will overheat after a few minutes, I need not go into why here. So connect it with a push button switch, which switches off as soon as your finger is released.

You see how I have mounted mine, simply glued it to the edge of my lapping unit, so that when the graver is removed from sharpening, simple press the red button and pass the graver down through the stator hole and then up again. You will feel the vibration letting you know the ac magnetic field is doing its job. Done. No heating of the stator during such a short use.

The whole thing could be encased in a nice box, if you wish.

Rod

Attachments

• IMG_0022.jpg
    IMG_0022.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_0021.jpg
    IMG_0021.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Thanks, Rod. Great solution and right there were you need it. I've added yours and blacksmith_wills posts to the Tips Archive. :beerchug:

dimovengraving

Elite Cafe Member
My demagnetizer of an old electromagnet:

He can hold in hand, and demagnetise steel parts of the vise

[video=youtube;svgMUBKuKN0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svgMUBKuKN0&feature[/video]

Last edited:

Dave Timms

Sam.
I've been told that an older style soldering iron will do the trick. That would be the one with two prongs that go together at the tip to make the hot end. One is supposed to draw the tool through the gap in the prongs before the tip and this will demagnetise. Is that the case?

Dave.

Latest posts

Sponsors