Protecting Bare Metal

Mike Carty

Looking for advice on what to use to protect bare metal from rust,such as on a polished gun reciever. I seen the spray on Lacquer GRS sells ,would that be a good option?

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I use Rig universal gun grease for gun in the white when waiting to be engraved. J.J.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
I find a coat of Renaissance Wax is a good protector. Easy to apply
It also works on blued guns on display at a show without the odor or mess of oils.
Protects against "rusty hand" acids.

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Renaissance wax is tops in that department, but you can use just about any oil, even motor oil and synthetic oil.

After wiping down with denatured alcohol, I've sprayed "in the white parts" in WD-40, and wrapped them in SaranWrap and then in Uline ProTek Wrap paper.
Never had a problem.

WD-40 also makes a "Rust Remover Soak" that is allegedly perfect to apply and leave on the metal.
I guess it leaves a film of protection, but I've never tried it.
The guy that blues my guns, uses a 50/50 mixture of straight 30 wt. motor oil and kerosene, then wraps in Saran.

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I recently did some fine line engraving on a Flintlock barrel very near the touch hole. As you may know black powder is extremely corrosive. I experimented with a half dozen types of coating including two different types of lacquer. The best thing I found is Cerakote. No type of solvent will take it off not even aircraft paint remover. However it is expensive. They sell sample size amounts for around $30.00

Last edited:

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Nice work Jerry, but I'm assuming you Cerakoted only around the touch hole as it is a fairly thick coating, unless you engraved through the Cerakote for the game scene and gold inlay.

Bill

Last edited:

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The scene was engraved and the gold inlaid. Then the scene and the gold were masked off with scotch tape and the Cerakote applied. It only takes one thin coat. That Cerakote is matte clear. It has to dry for 4 days to obtain full hardness. Then the barrel was browned. You cannot wire brush the Cerakote so it must be masked to brown the barrel.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors