EITH - Engraving In The Hat

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
Who would be interested in participating in a game called EITH - Engraving In The Hat. Basically all this is - you engrave something on a plate, send it to somebody and receive an engraving from somebody (maybe same guy/gal, maybe somebody else).

Rules:
  1. Everybody can participate, every skill level is accepted. This is for fun and mainly for the joy of giving and learning.
  2. Use whatever engraving style you're comfortable with or want to explore more.
  3. Participant must engrave his/her own original design at his/her best skill level.
  4. Participant must engrave his/her name and completion date somewhere. The text could be a central design element, or just tiny text somewhere on the border.
  5. Engraving size: minimum 1 square inch, no max.
  6. Everybody who takes part in the game, must send his/her engraving to other participant assigned to him/her (by random) at his/her own expense.
  7. Everybody who participates, receives engraving from some other participant for free.
  8. If possible, post your designs, sketches and/or blunders to forum, it would be a wonderful resource to see and learn.
  9. Deadline: by 30th of June the engravings must be finished.

Everybody who is interested please sign up in this thread.

Participants, please list your name and country:

1. Viljo, Estonia
  2. Jim, USA
  3. Mike, USA
  4. Dave, USA
  5. Jim Sackett, USA
  6. Steve, USA
  7. Joe Paonessa, USA
  8. Villu, Estonia
  9. Fred Marrinan
  10. Dennis Reigel, USA
  11. autumnwinds44, USA

Last edited:

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
I think hobo is just fine. Tho it's smaller, I think there's usually more work involved and I personally would be happy to get a nickel :).

Added you to the list.

Viljo,
can i do a hobo nickel? they are about 3/4 of an inch in diameter
Dave

Danny C

Sounds like fun.
Maybe the next "funer" would be to pass around the SAME plate to people who then embellish it (and put their initials on their cut).

It would NOT be rectangular, though.

D.Ellis

I'm in

Sounds like fun. I like the idea of a nickle or small buckle or something else that is not just a useless bit of metal. Key tab, dog tag or something would be way cooler than a practice plate IMHO.
Count me in for sure.
Darcy:)

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
Sounds like fun.
Maybe the next "funer" would be to pass around the SAME plate to people who then embellish it (and put their initials on their cut).
It would NOT be rectangular, though.

That's a great idea! If this round works out well, then this could be an idea for the next one.

Danny, are in too?

Sounds like fun. I like the idea of a nickle or small buckle or something else that is not just a useless bit of metal. Key tab, dog tag or something would be way cooler than a practice plate IMHO.
Count me in for sure.

Yes, next very good idea! We could come up with good practical thing for the next round of EITH. But for this round I think we should keep it simple, more people are able to join then. Finding a nickel, dog tag or anything more complicated would require more effort, which would lower the participant count, I think.

P.S. And I managed to talk my father to participate too, cool!

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Now that you mention it, since I happen to have some of the GRS key tags around I'll probably use one of them for my plate, but that's just because I have them.

I like the idea of an 'open' one like this where you could recieve anything as well as ones where there's some greater definition of the project.

I can see a 'round robin collaboration' being very... interesting to co-ordinate.

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
A small reminder to all 10 'victims' who have signed up so far. The deadline to finish your engravings is 30th of June, so not that much is left. Do not try to do an all-nighter at last night, this doesn't work so well :)

And feel free to post your designs and sketches.

Viljo

D.Ellis

Good to see this topic back up...........should have something to show by the end of the week.
Any chance of making this a sticky so we don't have to fish through many pages to find it?

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
I don't think sticky is an option, we'd have to generate enough traffic in this thread to keep it in the front page :)

Viljo

D.Ellis

I have to bow out:(............I messed up the item I was doing(brass pad lock) and have not got time to complete another as I am going to be guiding fishermen straight through till after the draw date. I have been so busy lately I had no time to cut anything for a couple of months.........and the lack of practice did not help me out at all. Sorry about that Viljo, I was really wanting to get in on this.
Sincerely bummed out,
Darcy

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks for the reminder! I was holding off on mine until after I got my scope. Got the one side done, now I need to figure out what the front will look like.

Danny C

Hey guys - I was gone for awhile, so wasn't able to keep up with this thread.

Did it ever happen?

Sponsors