Question: Gravermax

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
A friend of mine is looking for GRS equipment and now there is offered a Gravermax.
It's only this unit, there is no hand piece or anything else invalved.
We have three questions about this, how old could this Gravermax be, in which period are they produced.
And the price asked is $ 370,- would that be a fair price?
Are there certain points we should pay attention to?
Any advise or comments are much appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
This is an older unit but still a very good machine. I have one 30 years old. This one is not that old and just guessing 15 years old or so.
$370.00 would be a good price. Not a steal but a good price. I assume there is a foot pedal?
These are relatively bulletproof and run forever with minor maintenance. The internal hoses on them were surgical rubber and eventually will rot and need to be replaced.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
There are tens of thousands of these machines in workshops around the world. They are robust and will outlast all of us, that's for sure. As Rex said, you might need to replace the hoses inside, but aside from that I can't think of any reason not to buy it.

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Rex and Sam for your comments ( I count you to the experts.....;) )
Are there complete hose kits available at GRS?
Valuable information, thanks :thumbsup:

Last edited:

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hose is available from GRS but it is just a standard hose. Replace it with a hose like the hand pieces use and you will be fine. There is one thing you need to do however. The hose coming from the pressure gauge has a little reducer in it. You will see a clamp on the hose about an inch or so away from the gauge. Be sure to replace that in the new hoses.

Sam

Staff member
old_gravermax.jpg

This is one of the first production Gravermaxes from the early 80s. I saw it on a jeweler's bench in Wichita, KS and took this pic. The machine was sold to the store owner by Don Glaser (inventor). It's still going strong and is in use every day. The owner also said it's never been serviced or repaired.

golden forge

Elite Cafe Member
Hey Sam, that unit looks familiar, I bought mine from a local part time gun engraver who used it for many yeas.
I got the unit with foot pedal, two old graver hand pieces, and a hammer hand piece for $350.00, and it runs fine. I could not write that check out fast enough!!
I have upgraded to a 901 hand piece and use the thing almost daily.

Attachments

• IMG_4207.jpg
    IMG_4207.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 115

ETHELBERT

Elite Cafe Member
i've used mine for going on 8 years never touched a thing as far as maint. goes...It works for me

Sam

Staff member
The Gravermax classic is one of the best buys for an engraving machine. There are lots of 'em out there and the prices are down since newer models came out.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Five or six years ago the were $800 to $1000 used. I bought the Gravermach 8 for my daughter(no built in air tach otherwise the same paid $750 or 800 with 2 hand pieces. I think I gave over $800 for my Miester used. Fred

Latest posts

Sponsors