Graver geometry book?

mobaiz

When I first began my training as a pastry chef I had purchased a variety of pastry bag tips and with each tip was included an illustration of the effects that particular tip could produce in cream. I was wondering, more like hoping, if there is a book on the different type of gravers, their geometry and what type of effects they can produce in metal? If not maybe Sam Alfano can crank one out in an evening and sell it as an ebook lol . I’d definitely buy one

Last edited:

bildio

Elite Cafe Member
Go to the GRS website (grs.com). Look under Resources/Manuals/Gravers & Accessories.

JeffLiles

If you have a leaning toward GRS gravers, then you might want to stick to their sharpening system too.

However, a very good set of options exists by utilizing the Lindsay Uniform Parallel Point. This style of sharpening is patented by Steve Lindsay.

http://www.airgraver.com/sharpening.htm#Uniform-Parallel Point

If you check this website, you will see that most of the points are named after the contemporary professional who designed that particular version of the Lindsay point. There are links to their discussion thread in Lindsay's forum. Photos are always included so you know who came up with it, what style of work they do, what the results of the cut will be, photos and occasionally a video of how to make it, and whether it is intended to be used in conjunction with another graver that the same artist has designed for their work. So you have the complete set of questions answered. I don't think GRS has the equivalent in-depth lexicon. Lindsay has done a great service, and he continues by working with artists all over the world to further extend your options and information.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
I would have loved to have all the information 40 years ago when I started out,take advantage of the forums,youtube videos and it's free. J.J.

Domitilla

The Lindsay Uniform Parallel Point is just amazing the way it cuts, it almost eliminates any heel drag.

Domitilla

Someone should write an e-book and put all the info together....it will be great if Sam does...I’ll definitely buy it :)

Oh course, Sam sharpening tutorials on iGraver are a big help, thanks a lot Sam!

dogcatcher

Elite Cafe Member
Someone should write an e-book and put all the info together....it will be great if Sam does...I’ll definitely buy it :)

Oh course, Sam sharpening tutorials on iGraver are a big help, thanks a lot Sam!
The info is all on the Internet. If you are taking notes, a simple copy and paste on to a document form, and you won't need a book. If done correctly your notes will become your best friend. I have literally dozens of pdf's about engraving in a folder, that if I am having a problem, I can research electronically. It is like having my own personal experts being on call at the click of a button.

Memorymaker

Elite Cafe Member
I too would like to have an illustration of what type of graver should be used for what purpose. I have searched a lot of books and the internet and not found one.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::

this forum is, "the book".

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
monk,well said without this forum a lot of us would be lost it's all here but the commitment.
Thanks sam,samw,monk,andrew and a host of others who are willing to help and eager to help if you show your trying.

Steve L S

Mobaiz I think I know what you mean. For example in any wood engraving book ( ie NOT woodcuts, which is a different animal ) they always have a section on the various engraving tools - square, spitsticker, tint, scorper, flat etc with pictures of what each tool can achieve.

Although their tools look like ours Its all different when you start engraving metal as the finished product and not as a secondary step in achieving a paper print. Intaglio printing is more like our work and the 90 degree square graver is the principal tool . So it is trial and error......I have found that I can do a lot with a 90degree square graver and flats of various widths

Steve

Latest posts

Sponsors