Work in progress

zippy

Working in tight quarters try not to over welm little hawk.

Attachments

• A2F0231B-150E-46ED-8E2A-9005BD4FA22C.jpg
    A2F0231B-150E-46ED-8E2A-9005BD4FA22C.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 384

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
so i take it you work 'thru the blue'? then whiten the cuts in much the same manner as we blacken them in more traditional work? i'm not noticing any sparkle to the cuts, so am assuming they are filled with white paint, ink, or?

i've only ever done one "reversed" image project and that was on bare polished metal (actually an aluminum scope tube for the Burris Co.). it was an image of a bull elk- maybe for RMEF?- and i recall it being pretty tricky engraving more-or-less dark lines on a light background, that would then become light lines on a dark anodized background. further complicating matters was the scope tube was almost mirror polished. seems i may have done two or three of those? very long time ago, circa 1985 or so...

zippy

Hi Mitch, the only way I can describe this is I approach this like drawing on paper, there are no cuts this image was free hand drawing and then went onto detail, this whole thing happened by accident I hated the silver engravings with black inc or paint filler, to me it was natural to have everything black then go to work on the theme of your engraving.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Zippy, I don't understand your answer to Mitch.
Are you saying that you are drawing on the black background using pencil, crayons or ink?
Or are you selectively removing the black/bluing by chemical, abrasive or burnishing means ?
Either way, your skill is remarkable and would be hard to duplicate.

zippy

Hi John, I don’t know what a burnishing tool looks like or what burnishing is exactly, I just start by lightly rubbing the blue serface until I get a grey and then begin to lightly scratching for detail, have to have soft hands, I actually take knife graver at a severe angle to turn metal white by dragging it, hard to explain but it works for me. I will send pictures of the only tools I use in order of progression.Thanks for your comments.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Hi John, I don’t know what a burnishing tool looks like or what burnishing is exactly, I just start by lightly rubbing the blue serface until I get a grey and then begin to lightly scratching for detail, have to have soft hands, I actually take knife graver at a severe angle to turn metal white by dragging it, hard to explain but it works for me. I will send pictures of the only tools I use in order of progression.Thanks for your comments.

Thank you Zippy.
I look forward to your further input. Your results are remarkably beautiful.

monk

Staff member
whatever you call it, however you do it-- it is double cool.how delicate is the work when finished ? i should have asked, "how durable".

Donny

Elite Cafe Member
May I ask how you deal with the potential for rusting on the exposed areas? It is very nice work and looks great.

Don C

zippy

Hi Don, no problem with rust so far,I get board with an engraving about every three years, take bleuing off and start another one, but I am thinking of putting a surface on this one for protection against handling.

Latest posts

Sponsors