Lamp black + transfer wax + clear tape

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
1.) I rubbed RUBLEV LAMP BLACK into the cuts trying to fill them as evenly as possible.

2.) I then wiped off the surface trying to leave the black in the cuts.

3.) Next I pulled the design with clear tape.

4.) Applied transfer wax to the surface of the metal to transfer to.

5.) Positioned the tape and burnished the design.

As you can see, it picked up a lot of detail and is much easier to see than a typical transfer wax transfer.

Next I will try mirroring the design and see how that works.

DSC01282.jpg IMG_5742.jpg

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
Though I use a black pigment for epoxy coloring instead of lamp black which is finer, that is the process I have used for years now and the mirroring works quite well. It also works picking up a design scribed into clear acetate which is how I apply drawn (uncut) designs to metal.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Though I use a black pigment for epoxy coloring instead of lamp black which is finer, that is the process I have used for years now and the mirroring works quite well. It also works picking up a design scribed into clear acetate which is how I apply drawn (uncut) designs to metal.

It's a bit messy but it's easier to see than a straight transfer wax transfer. I'm glad to hear mirroring works as well. I also have some bone black around here somewhere. Not sure it'd make an appreciable difference.

For acetate scribings I've used graphite scrapings from my pencil, but I'm sure this would be much blacker and produce better results. Thanks, Sam!

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
The lamp black is very fine and sometimes is difficult get to hold in all the cuts (at least for me). The mirror image works well but will be a bit fainter. I found that after I apply the tape to pick up the powder from cuts and before removing from the design, if I remove the item, turn it upside down and tap on the bench it deposits a bit more black onto the tape and makes a better mirror image when applied to another tape for the reversing.

By the way, that pencil drawing is impressive!

Brant

Elite Cafe Member
I cannot remember who it was, but someone recently mentioned using the powder from empty laser toner cartridges.

Brant

Bob A

Elite Cafe Member
If using laser toner cartridges, be sure to get the SDS (MSDS). Some toners are actually as containing carcinogens, others have some mildly difficult chemicals. Not saying its not a good idea, just to be knowledgeable and take precautions. :) Bob

monk

Staff member
sam, a quite nice drawing. is that a self-portrait done when you had hair ? you know, before you created the balding wax ?

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I do the same thing Sam but when I need a little more durability, (my clumsy fingers might muck it up) I rub a bit of beeswax stick onto the surface of the item rather than transfer wax. It's just a little bit tougher.
Layne

phil

Elite Cafe Member
Mrthe. You don't need to buy lampblack. Use a kerosene lamp or anything with a sooty flame that will leave a carbon deposit on your work. That is how the modern lampblack like Sam uses gets its name.

Latest posts

Sponsors