1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

Here's the progression of how I work up a design that's not typical scrollwork. This is more of an arabesque leafy acanthus style or whatever you want to call it.

Give it a try...it's lots of fun and really helps build design skills. Drawing :drawing: :pencil: should be an everyday ritual for all hand engravers.

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Nicely done sam. May I also point out to the others how your initial lines are rather light and as the design progressed you got darker and corrected as you went along. Good sketching technique.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Nicely done sam. May I also point out to the others how your initial lines are rather light and as the design progressed you got darker and corrected as you went along. Good sketching technique.

Thanks Marty. The design is subject change as I go so I don't commit to heavy lines until I know they're there to stay.

Dirtdigger

This look´s really awesome! It´s great for newbies like me to see how you build your design. There is so much to learn and these kind of posts makes it so much easier to understand what i should be aiming for.
Thank you Sam for let us see this!

JMiller

Elite Cafe Member
I always like watching and seeing how others work and do things, it's a great study guide and insight to the process of building a design.... Thanks Sam!

celticjohn

I know I'm capable of doing this kinda thing.......I just need to find the key to unlock that section of my brain.

Idaho Flint

Elite Cafe Member
I love seeing a persons progression in a design. Thank you so much Sam. It really helps in learning how a design is made. It is like getting inside your head. Speaking of which, that one corner over there is still a little dusty.... :)

Mike

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I'm glad you folks enjoyed it. Scrollwork is definitely more straight forward because you draw the backbone and then do the fill-in. This style requires more time and a larger vocabulary of decorative elements. The end result can be really beautiful. Check out Churchill's work, Kornbrath's, Ken Hunt's, etc. Those guys have great skills at this style.

Kerry Bogan

Great demonstration Sam. What I especially liked is while you refined as you went, you built everything on the initial sketch and it remained the core and defined the flow of the design. That's probably obvious to most but it helped clarify it for me.
Thanks

jbrayout

Thanks for sharing, it makes all the difference to actually see how you progress through the drawing. I get so lost when I try to put too much in at one time. This will help a ton.

Latest posts

Sponsors