Workbench thread

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thank you, Arnaud!

Is your suggestion that I should have just painted over all my tools when I was re finishing my bench top?

But, I guess you found out my secret, it is a museum, I ship all my engraving work to be done in China, they offer a good price, and I can give you the link, if you wish?

The flute seen here, for example, was engraved for me in China recently.

Here is my workshop museum where I am seven days a week...

Rod

Attachments

• _DSC9425.jpg
    _DSC9425.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 1,341
  • DSC01304.jpg
    DSC01304.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 1,340
  • DSC01303.jpg
    DSC01303.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 1,339
  • DSC01302.jpg
    DSC01302.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 1,332

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Rod, I'm a bit confused now, am I right that this part of you studio you didn't show in your previous post?
The only reason I called yours museum is because to me it didn't show a real working area, sure this does.
But my apologises if I did interpret it wrong.

arnaud

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Arnaud, he had to refinish the top of the bench. Of course it would be clean right after.

Go look at the beginning of his post again - he states that's why he took that picture. He's a long way from being a neat freak or OCD!

Just keeps a better than averagely clean shop.

It really WOULD be a museum if it looked like that every day!

Brian

Last edited:

axeman11

Is that a Myford Super 7 I see? I have always wanted to hug and kiss one of those. Why do you not keep it in the museum shop where it wont get scratched? I think the show "How it's Made" should do a segment on your manufacturing. That would be cool.

Red Green

Elite Cafe Member
Heck yea Rod post that link. Those Chinese sure do some nice engraving. :) Do you have to buy it by the shipping container? Your museum has that lived in look, are you sure elves don't make those magic flutes you sell? :thinking:

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Just kiddin' Arnaud!

I do appreciate your posts, and I want to thank you for nudging me a little towards some advantages of vector drawing to check out backbone ideas. That happened when I bought the vector of the bracelet design. You put a lot of work into it. I do like pencil and paper, yet starting with a concept sketch, laying out a vector backbone, then adding to that with pencil ideas has given me a little boost to my thinking process. At Andrew's invitation, I will write a little about that flute in the next Engraver Journal.

best

Rod

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Rod, I've always loved your posts concerning the wonderful flutes you craft. Just out of curiosity, how many flutes do you make in a years' time? Are they all straightforward commissioned pieces or do you just make what fancies you and sell them "first come first served." I'm sure you have a long waiting list of clients begging for one of these fabulous, and functional works of art.

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thank you, Doc,

For your kind remarks! All are special ordered from around the world, just finishing another two for Rio de Janeiro, and I have never been without orders on my bench since 1975. That can sound like a very desirable level of problem, if you are looking for commissions, because we know the reverse is more serious. However, after preening your feathers, at age 75, the other side of the busy coin is, that you are a slave to your bench, and have no other life. I do wish I could just do my masterworks at my own pace, and should get to that before I keel over. At the same time, it is a noble task to make a good flute, plain and unadorned, for a needy player. I should change gear into a mode where I rise in the morning, and ask myself..."Well what do I feel like doing on this bright sunny day...". Instead of the day reminding me what I am obliged to do.

My saintly wife encourages me to go live some of my dreams, and she will buy the meat and potatoes from her own purse, and I should put aside my Scottish tradition of living by the sweat of my own brow. She may be right.

I have made several thousand concert flutes for 17th, 18th, and 19th century repertoire. If you locked me in my workshop, disconnected computers and telephones, fed me sandwiches through the letter box, with my tools sharp, my wood work ready, and my lathes working, I could start a flute this morning and finish tomorrow evening. Handling all other tasks used to average one per working week, when you do all the peripheral tasks, including writing, and research.

I am constantly drawn to wandering the quiet footpaths of Europe, dipping into old cities and museums, maybe visiting flute players and engravers, and I am overdue to do that, but there is always some person desperate for a recording or concert gig upcoming. With only $4 a day soc security guess I keep going.

Things like the forums are wonderful to stay connected with kindred spirits from within our sometimes lonely workshops!

My customers are not gun experts, but some are very gracious, as well as excellent artists ... for example the lovely Michaela, from Prague region, who sent this picture today, about to go onstage with a Cameron flute.

best

Rod

Attachments

• mich.jpg
    mich.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 1,199

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Wow, I would love to get away and wander that workshop with you as a personal tour guide. I don't know which I would enjoy more-your wonderful warm personna or the seduction of stories in the tools and masterworks. Very well done my friend.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
My set up.. And growing everyday have less than 4 months doing this....

Carlos De La O III

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Carlos, Work shop or man cave?:thumbsup:J.J.
J.J.

Originally it's the man cave where we play poker but its slowly converting into a shop not going to have enough space pretty soon! I'm being consumed by engraving, practicing, reading, drawing,thinking, what should I do? Is there any hope for me?

Carlos De La O III

Last edited:

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
only time will tell. many start like house a-fire then burn out and fade into memories. some smolder, blaze up and then roar like a burning pine forest. some are like a book of matches, one brilliant flame after another.

thughes

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Mine is in the middle of nowhere, and I got the chair off Craig's list, and I built the cabin myself.

Kevin Scott

Elite Cafe Member
The first picture is my engraving work station. Pretty much everything that I use to engrave is there. Not shown there are engraving books, power hone, and tools and supplies that I don't use much or not at all.
Don't really need much space or equipment for push engraving.
Not easy to see, but my arm rest to the right of the vice is about 6" high. I feel that puts less strain on my wrist since the wrist is not bent when engraving.

Should have a more dedicated space.

The second picture is my watch shop that the engraving station is in. Really trying to downsize. Shop is way too crowded. This picture shows less than 1/3 of my watch operation. Have two plus more rooms this size or larger. Rooms have 11 1/2' ceilings. In my parts room I have a ladder.

Attachments

• engraving station 90%.jpg
    engraving station 90%.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 1,006
  • shop 90%.jpg
    shop 90%.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 1,004