More Christchurch earthquakes

Andrew Biggs

Hi Marcus

Yip, we had two major ones within and hour and half or so of each other. The biggest was 6.0. We are now getting a series of rolling aftershocks shaking us up. More damage, buildings down, power and water off for about a third of the city and more liquefaction. The good news is that there has been no reports of loss of life but plenty of very frazzled nerves..................just another day down under at the bottom of the world :)

Cheers
Andrew

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
If mother nature hasn't terrorized those poor people enough. Let's hope this is the last of them for a long time.

Leonardo

Elite Cafe Member
I'm glad to see you all are well Andrew and hope this find an end soon.

All the best to you and all the Christchurch people!

Leonardo

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Andrew,

I thought my day had turned sour when I just discovered a hairline crack in a new flute about to go out to Germany, and reluctantly started to make a replacement joint. Then I opened the Forum, to read that Christchurch has been struck again. Our hearts go out to all in the quake's wake, yet your good humoured responses do let us know that you are uninjured, even if nerve-frayed, and you are still in communication. You certainly put my petty setbacks of today in context. Wait a minute, the San Andreas Fault is just a few miles off shore. If there is another dimension or two to be discovered in 'string theory', I hope I may use one to send you all additional rations of that something that is needed to face into life's risks, I believe it is called courage under adversity, and you have it in spades. Love also to Mary and your extended family!

Rod

Last edited:

Andrew Biggs

Thanks for your kind words.

The Scientists have upgraded yesterdays quakes to 5.7 and 6.3 which is the same size as February's one. It certainly felt like it at the time but just not quite as long. And apparently there is one fatality and a few near misses. The smaller aftershocks are still rolling through regularly.

If this keeps up we'll all start getting motion sickness. It's been 9 months since the first big one hit back in September. Everything changes and nothing stays the same forever ........so this will pass like anything else in life. It's just a matter of when and riding it out till then. I'm getting pretty good at lifting the graver just before they hit otherwise half my work would be repairing slips.

There's nothing we need thanks Rod other than kind thoughts and Papa, the earth mother, to settle down :)

Cheers
Andrew

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I think the residents down there could file suit against the northern hemisphere. The population explosions are happening on the other side of the world and thats what is causing the pressure down under. Now if we in the northern hemisphere would all diet and reduce some of the weight OR send a lot of our junk south it might equalize the pressures and get things back in to balance-what you folks think should we all send some heavy trash south?---Glade you are well and safe Andrew and Mary. Has your business facility stayed out of harms way. I know you said your home and your daughters home where both OK. Is your business building in the downtown area. I hope not Take good care of each other. Thinking of you every time I see these on the news. - Fred

take-down

Elite Cafe Member
Hi All this is my first post
Heart goes out to you Andrew, It was only 2 weeks ago I drove through ChCh. Very sad to see.
I drove past a house I stayed at in 1973 when we played Christ Collage only to se it a heap of rubble on the ground. But incredable to see the Cantab Spirit, everybody just getting on.
We ended up in the middle of an intersection that had changed signels from our last trip only to find we were sitting there in a red light. But no problems sombody in the green light side put his arm out and waved us on, great patience in a stressful time
Spent a week up the Lyell Glacier a couple of good shakes and rock slides, got home last weekend only to find you had been hammered again
I know the rest of NZ is feeling for all of you people
Stay positive Keep well
Cheers Graham

Andrew Biggs

Hi Graham and welcome to the forum :)

Yip, she's a mess alright and there's a bit of hard work ahead of us along with a few tears and a bit of heartache along the way for many. Much that we had will be lost and changed forever and fade in our memories over time. But that is just the nature and cycle of life.

It will all work out in the end as it always does..........well, that's the plan anyway :)

Cheers
Andrew

Latest posts

Sponsors