software help?

JOSIAH HANLEY

i can get the adobe creative suite 5 photoshop extended for $189.95
would this software work to do art work for engraving
is this all i need or do i need more to go with it

DakotaDocMartin

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
You might need to learn Photoshop for making nice images of your finished work. But, if you are wanting to draw scroll backbones, etc. you need Illustrator. Or, better yet, just buy Sam's DVD on how to draw scrolls with a pencil and save a lot of money. :thumbsup:

Mike Fennell

Elite Cafe Member
Hi, Josiah, how are you and the family?

Photoshop costs a little money and takes a little time to learn, but it is a useful tool. I use it for a number of things.

If you have read Ron Smith's book you will see how he uses tracing paper to work up his designs by drawing, erasing and redrawing.

Often, instead of tracing paper, I will draw on any scrap of paper that is handy, then I can scan the image with my HP Scanjet, use photoshop to erase parts, modify parts, resize images, then print it out and go at it with a pencil or pen again. I usually draw it large - 8" x 10" or so, and print the work-in-progress copies large also. If you are going to draw large, then shrink the image, use a medium point pen or pencil, as the lines get thinner as you shrink the image, and you don't want them to disappear.

When I am finally satisfied with the design, I scan it again, use photoshop to size it for the piece to be engraved, use the "rotate" function to flip it for a mirror image, and print it out to transfer to the metal the way Rex taught us. (An even sharper transfer image can be made by printing to baking parchment taped to typing paper with masking tape, or by printing to a transparency.)

Or you can just use the drawing as a guide and redraw it directly onto the metal using a pencil. Treat the surface first with a thin coat of chinese-white or white shoe-polish or white-out so the pencil marks are visible. Give it a shot of fixative, or go over the drawing with a scribe and you are ready to cut.

Photoshop is also great for adjusting colors and contrasts and to replace backgrounds in the photos of your finished work or photos of scenes or animals you intend to incorporate in future designs.

If you find any of the above to be confusing, send me a pm or call me.

Keep up the good work.

Mike Fennell

Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
i can get the adobe creative suite 5 photoshop extended for $189.95
would this software work to do art work for engraving
is this all i need or do i need more to go with it

This is not an easy question to answer, Josiah. First you have to know exactly what your software requirements are. If you need to edit photos, do color corrections, add a copyright line, and dress them up for presentation on your website or for printing, then Photoshop is the answer.

If you want to do serious vector illustrations that scale infinitely which can be used for engraving transfers, then Illustrator or CorelDRAW (for PC) is your best bet. But before you jump and spend $189 (a GREAT price, btw), be sure of your needs and be prepared for the ensuing learning curve. I use both Illustrator and Photoshop every day and love them, but I rarely use them for creating a design that I will transfer and engrave. I'm not saying you can't or shouldn't...I'm just saying that drawing with a pencil is considerably faster and better for me when it comes to doing a layout that I will engrave. Your mileage may vary. :)