Help, please: Bright cut Engraving in the round.

Jim Sackett

Elite Cafe Member
007.JPG 008.JPG 010.JPG 009.JPG :)Been working on this on and off for a couple months. The dead line is approching so its time to go to work. This is an Argentem Sterling Silver ring size 10 1/4 inch wide it cuts eazy when my hand dosent shake to much. Whats nice with this new silver is it dosent tarnish like the sterling.

What I want to do next is add some leaf work to it using light shadding cuts. I could use some suggestions for the design of these Im thinking on using 105 square point for this.

All comments and suggestions appreciated.

Jim Sackett

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
You might want to roll your graver to the outside, Jim. It appears that you're rolling to the inside which is a backhand cut. I believe you'll find it easier to control and resulting cut will be cleaner.

Jim Sackett

Elite Cafe Member
Ya dulltool been strugeling with this, Sam I started the scrolls with a 105 square and went over them with polished flat. The more I cut the messer it got. Am trying to splash some leaves around to fill in the open spots. Will post when finished.

Jim

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Jim,
From the scratches i see on the ring it looks like you are trying to push/force the graver. Lighten up your grip and let the tool do the work.

Jim Sackett

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Rex, Last week I developed some humidity problems that took away about 80% of the power in the hand piece. I cleaned all my lines and hand piece Im probaly still pushing to hard. That was good advice.

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I know you were a push graver kind of guy in the past but with the air powered ones you need to just think about letting the tool do all the work.

david bain

Elite Cafe Member
Your cutting soft silver.you will find you have more control by cutting with light cuts and going back over to get the depth you want.if you are using air tool try cutting your air pressure back some.you dont need a lot of pressure to cut arg. silver

Sponsors