Question: ?Microscope models used by engravers?

highveldt

Elite Cafe Member
I am contemplating the purchase of a microscope and I read where many engravers are using the Meiji EMZ microscopes and some are using the Omano OM-99. However, I also have read comments by other engravers who use more expensive European made microscopes due to their better optics.

When I search the web for Meiji EMZ microscope I find several different models using the "EMZ" prefix followed by a numeral(s). Do these numerals indicate working distance by any chance?

I am a learning engraver and use 2.75x stereo magnifiers. I will not be a full time engraver, but expect to engrave maybe at most 5-8 hours/week. What microscope brands and models should I direct my search to and how to I separate the "wheat from the chaff"?

Your help will be appreciated.

Best Regards;
Steve Howell

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
this subject has been pretty well beaten to death, with the general consensus being that you can't go wrong with the Meiji, (Olympus, Zeiss, & Leica- my favorite- also have their fans), AND that you will have nothing but heart/headaches with cheap Chinese knockoffs.

i'm not familiar with the Meiji line, but working distance is typically a function of the objective lens on the bottom of the scope. a typical engraving set-up would be a .6x-4.0x variable zoom scope body, 10x eyepieces/oculars (which make it 6x-40x), and a 0.5x objective lens (which will cut the zoom range to 3x-20x, but double the working distance under the scope from a too close 4" or so, to a usable 8").

somebody should be along shortly to give you specifics about Meiji scopes. (be patient, there are a couple big trade shows going on this week and a lot of folks are away from their computers.)

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
The Meiji EMZ-5 is the standard of the hand engraving industry and should be purchased with 10x eyepieces and 0.5x objective (it normally comes in this configuration from jewelry suppliers). My advice is to avoid Chinese scopes. If you'd like to step up from the Meiji there's Zeiss and Leica at 3 or 4 times the cost but in all honesty, you probably won't notice a difference at this stage in your career.

Please read this thread in our Tips Archive which is very informative and should help you with your quest.

highveldt

Elite Cafe Member
Sam & Mitch;

Thanks for your kindness in responding. Sam thank you for pointing me to the archived tip I somehow missed when I was searching the forum posts. I should have asked this question earlier as there was a Meiji EMZ on e-bay that sold for $499.00 yesterday----It appeared to have been used for circuit board repairing.

Sam

Staff member
From what I've heard the majority of Meiji stereo zoom scopes are used in electronics assembly.

highveldt

Elite Cafe Member
Sam, Mitch et al;

I bought a Meiji EMZ -8 which is to be shipped to me this week. It has 4.09 inch working distance. The addition of a 0.5 barlow lens will increase the working distance to 6.85 inches? Is this increased working distance about what is needed?

Best Regards;
Steve

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam, Mitch et al;

I bought a Meiji EMZ -8 which is to be shipped to me this week. It has 4.09 inch working distance. The addition of a 0.5 barlow lens will increase the working distance to 6.85 inches? Is this increased working distance about what is needed?

Best Regards;
Steve

hmmm, it will only increase to 6.85"? that should be enough working distance for most stuff, i've just never heard of a case of a 0.5x objective not doubling the working distance. my Leicas have a pretty direct linear relationship regarding magnification, field-of-view, & working distance. i'm no optical engineer, so i suppose anything is possible...

Sam

Staff member
Mitch: As I recall the working distance of the EMZ-8 is slightly greater than the EMZ-5.

Latest posts

Sponsors