high speed rotary tool

cartier01

hi am trying to learn to engrave. am interested in a high speed rotary tools any brnds you guys would recomend me . am in the houston tx area thanxs

acorn

I have a turbocarver made by High Speed Carving Prod. out of WA state. They advertise that you can use it for metal but I've never tried mine on anything but wood. It does a fantastic job carving gunstocks but overall the tool is quite fragile and not for heavy work. Here is a pic of a gunstock grip I carved with my turbocarver. Gary DSC05309.JPG

cartier01

yes beegee am planing on using it has a primary. i would be working mostly on car parts too engrave. thanxs

cartier01

was checking out the power carver 400 or the 400xs from scm. or from the sculpting studio PowerCarver 400xs Ultra High Speed Turbine Carver or also something from grs what do you guys recomnd.

JAT

I have an NSK turbine grinder and it's great for small areas but you have to use a touch and go technique as there is no torque just speed. The NSK turbine is pretty quiet and once you get used to it, it does a great job on tight little areas without jumping around like a what a foredom grinder would do. However, you might consider trying either some gravers, or die sinkers chisels, for your engraving. If you have to engrave a long flowing line, like an outline, a graver sharpened the right way will cut that line in one or two passes. Otherwise you'll be spending a lot of time just making one line. Some of those car parts might be too hard to cut by hand pushing a graver so that's why I also recommend die sinkers chisels. These you use with a hammer, and tap the chisel to cut through the metal. With a little practice you could run circles around someone working with an air grinder, and time is money. Just some food for thought. I hope this helps you a little bit.

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i was given a 400k rpm dentist drill. it uses the "fg", or .062" dental burrs. as mentioned, lots of speed, but you can stall the thing with a finger. it's quite useful for "SMALL" work. for parts such as one would do for bikes, it just takes too long to hog out metal. i don't want to spend yer money, but time is money.
btw: welcome to the forum. if you're not up to speed with a pencil, it's quite important to learn to draw well.

Memorymaker

Elite Cafe Member
I have several types. I like the X400 the best I also like their customer service. The ultra high speed ones are all high speed and very low torque ....... they use speed to take small bites. They are used for carving and rotary engraving. You have to just touch the places you want to etch like drawing with a pencil. They have very little resistance so they don’t tend to travel like the slower ones. The slower speed ones like a dremel have high torque, use larger burs and hog out metal but are not as good for rotary engraving. They also have a tendency to travel and are harder to control.

Last edited:

dave gibson

Elite Cafe Member
yes beegee am planing on using it has a primary. i would be working mostly on car parts too engrave. thanxs

The engraving you see on this forum isn't done with a rotary tool, real engraving is a cut line, a rotary won't do this. The lines a rotary makes aren't smooth like an engraved gun. I had the same idea about 10 years ago and when I saw close up pix of the results I knew it was something I didn't want. Look at GRS and Lindsay for professional engraving tools. Good Luck!

Memorymaker

Elite Cafe Member
Dave ........ I think you are talking about metal engraving......... this guy showed an example on wood. Also, real engraving can be done by many methods on many surfaces .......... I don’t think you want to use this kind of engraving on glass ........ that is better with a rotary or a sandblaster and you can get beautiful results. Rotary has its place just like chisel gravers.

That said ........ you’re right ......... chisel engraving does give crisper and brighter lines on metal. Jus sayin

Last edited:

Dean

Elite Cafe Member
One of my hand pieces is the GRS® Ultra 850 Hand piece , I have only used for gun stocks at this time and it works very well for that. I just recently purchased a Gravermeister from the buy sell section here and that is what I am starting out with to engrave then go from there

Jonathan.Silas

Elite Cafe Member
I have a nsk presto and I lack the verbal ability to sing it's praises highly enough. For wood the fibres simply disappear when touched. On metal though I think you need to head the advice of others here and look at a graver.

Latest posts

Sponsors