Beautiful book for sale on Ebay.

en2siastic

Beautiful book for sale on Ebay,

Hello friends of the cafe, I thought that you might be interested with the book that is on sale on Ebay, item number 250109465238, engravings for gravers. There are many pictures of ornaments.
Best wishes.
Francis

Attachments

• Gribelin010_WEB_WEB.jpg
    Gribelin010_WEB_WEB.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 214
What a great book. The buyer will probably break it apart and sell each page for a few hundred dollars. What a shame. I think it's too late to let Dover know about it. They do a really wonderful service in making these kind of old books available at affordable prices.

Well, at least I saved some of the pictures on my computer for reference. Thank you for letting us know about the treasure.

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Boy! That kind of stuff really turns my crank! Sadly though when my crank is turned, money doesn't come out.:(

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Go to the auction page.......supersize the picture of the book page you like and then right click it with your mouse...then with the pop up commands do a .save as.onto your computor. Not a sharp as that beautiful book but still some good reference material you can revert back to.

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I just got a message from the seller after I thanked him for taking all those pics and he said I should print them as they will be deleted from his host a couple days after the auction. Very helpful, cheerful fellow.

Andrew Biggs

You know, it never ceases to amaze me but we live in a day and age of whizz-bang everything. Computers, rockets to the moon, non stick frying pans, electric lights and microscopes.

When you look at the engravings in that book, considering it was published in 1682, when all they had was candles, natural light and some pretty basic tools. The designs and execution of the work is still pretty darn fantastic and can still hold it's own with modern day engraving and design...................325 years later it still has the WOW factor.

Cheers
Andrew

Brad Hartliep

Looks like I was a little late finding this thread. Did anyone save the pictures digitally? Is there anyway to get copies of them for reference? As attachments to an e-mail or maybe posted here?

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
I put up the images here

I hope I don't violate any copyright rules or anything, if this is so then please let me know.

Enjoy!
Viljo

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That is absolutely fantastic. Thanks for the link. FWIW, the pictures were still there as of 6:45 am 5/8 Eastern Daylight Savings time.

Peter

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Nice material! Now if I can just eventually get this laptop hooked up to a printer. If I remember correctly, I think there is a lot of material lik this in the J.M. Bergling series of books. Maybe not this good but another similar source. Will this stay in the archives so one could print it out later? I wonder how long it would take to print it?
Ron S

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
I see that the winning bid for the book of $900 plus was from New York.
That's the home state of Dover Books, I believe.
Lets hope it was them and they re-publish it.

Gargoyle

Official Cafe Stone Carver
Thanks Vilts for saving the pix.

There was a Samuel Gribelin and a Simon Gribelin active at that time. Go to Google, select the image option in the search options at the top of the page, enter Gribelin and you'll find more of their engravings. Many are in museums.