Professionalism

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
General comments: I think that being a professional anything has more to do with attitude than anything else. Of course there are other important criteria. It is such a general guestion however, it is difficult to answer except generally, but it is not a matter of opinion. Rather, it is a conforming to certain eternal standards that will survive time, one being sound foundational structure,(the basic strength of your creation) Accuracy of interpretation, not human experience and perception (possible flawed evaluation), or reality. "Opinions" are often tainted by egos and/or selfish motive. Truth is not, so those with the attitude of the constant desire to meet those certain acurate standards are professionals, regardless of where you are in your skill level at this point in time.... As you begin to take steps on this path your skill and your evaluation tends to be relative to the environment in which you inhabit. General public (ignorance), educated observers ( patrons, students, and coneseurs of engraving) and then collectors (heavy investors). Both engraver's and consumer's sense of judgment changes with each catagory that you enter into.But don't be dismayed by this, because you are in the right environment for good progression. Be proud of your hard earned achievements, because it is in the struggle, not in the end result so much. Our simple desire for beauty and quality are the root determinators. I think you all have the right attitudes or you wouldn't be here. To me you are all professionals.................But that doesn't rule out the basic criteria for "good" work. To sum it up in one word. Accuracy: Acuracy in foundational structure. Accuracy in interpretation, and accuracy in skill. It takes those three elements to meet the basic requirements of good work, but there are two other valuable elements. Visual and emotional appeal. This is the trickster. If you can meet the criteria of these elements, your work will probably be a success in any circles, to some degree. I always heard too that if you can look back on your past efforts and find it pleasing rather than embarrasing, feel good and go forward..............If people are willing to pay you for it, don't give it away. That cheapens us all. You are worth whatever energy you have expelled to get to your level. The rest will sort of take care of itself if you are patient, tenacious, determined, and committed. Success is nothing but a series of failures anyway, on the way to wherever you are going. So is being thought of by others as professional so very important? I never thought it was. There just wasn't anything going to stop me on my path and I would move into that catagory by evolution. That is probably the way you will do it too.
Ron S

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
Ron,
This I will say. Your observations are deep, honest, and correct. They also pertain to life not just engraving.

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Glenn, that is correct. I learned about grace through my art. I think we all do, and I know I am only reitterating what you probably already know. We all play in the same ball park. Public ignorance has been the major problem in the past. The public cannot relate to this at all and it is constantly frustrating to have to face that ignorance everyday. Luckily, today there is constant encouragement to keep those fires going. It is much better today, thanks to the efforts and willingness of everyone to share their knowledge. The beautiful work of today is evidence of a new wave of creativity. Engraving would have died I think if we hadn't opened it up. The determination that it took to stick it out was hard to come by in that old environment. The greatest thing abut this trade are its students, not the masters. And we need to get them exposed at an earlier age, so show and teach everyone that you come into contact with and maybe we can get the engraver the respect that he deserves. Even if we don't create engravers out of all of them, we create awareness and understanding of what and why we do what we do. Those who have what it takes will rise to the top and the public will have an appreciation and respect like never before.
Forward!.............Ron S

Cody

Elite Cafe Member
Ron, what you say makes perfect sence.

Thanks
Cody

Last edited:

CUTTING METAL

Ron,
As always - more great words of wisdom from a gifted man. Some on here might not know that you are also a good hunter and I enjoyed sharing hunting stories with you also. It is of no surprise to me that a man who pays as close attention to details as you would also be a fine hunter.

Thanks for your sharing, Dick Sheehan

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Your expose here reminded me of your comments in your book. Life is to art what art is to life, entertwined and complimentary at the same time. I love to read what is in people's minds, but only those with a mind to share!

Latest posts

Sponsors