18kt Gold Lake, Platinum-Inlaid.....

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
...in 3D, baby! :cool:

18kt rose gold Lake folder with pure platinum-inlaid trompe l'oeil "Flying Leaf & Vine" faux-relief scrollwork by Mitch Moschetti © 2011

Attachments

• Lake4.jpg
    Lake4.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 365
  • Lake3.jpg
    Lake3.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 380
  • Lake2.jpg
    Lake2.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 405
  • Lake1.jpg
    Lake1.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 438

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Wow, that's killer Mitch! What a beautiful 3D effect you've gotten. Absolutely stunning!
~Sam

eastslope

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I feel like I could reach down and touch the scrollwork, lift it off, and look underneath. Fantastic design and execution! Seth

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stunning Mitch; that drop shadow is very cool.
Is it my computer or is there a sort of peach colored wash over the image.

I have a Pt question also: Any special requirements when using Pt for inlay?
Kevin P.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Am I correct in saying that even the scale pins and their "shadows" are trompe l'oeil ? Stunning work.

yes, the pins were/are flat/flush polished, but i thought it would be fun to make them into little floating spheres. (note to Katherine Plumer: thanks for your advice on scrimming pearl, but the stuff was so dang hard it kept blunting my sharp round tool steel point, so i just ended up treating it much like the bulino on the metal. it reminded me of the enamel on warthog tusk ivory, which is harder than woodpecker lips.)

To Kevin P. & Jeff- I use pure platinum (not 95/5 or 90/10) and it works similar to 24kt gold. a little harder, but not much. on this particular job, it was the 18kt rose gold that was a cast iron b**** to cut. quite possibly THE worst metal i've ever had the displeasure of plowing a tool thru. thankfully the all-inlaid design allowed me to cleanly 'shave' the cavities out to their finish size/shape and the only visible finish engraving in the gold is bulino dots.

To Kevin P.- the 18kt rose gold is actually a warm pale pink, but for some reason the photos came out with an extra orange tint. i sent them to a pro photographer friend who did his best to correct the colors, but he told me since they were jpegs he couldn't fix things as much as he'd like. he made a point of telling me to shoot in RAW format next time and he'd be able to do whatever i want.

Last edited:

Sam

Staff member
Here's a bit of color correction on the blade and platinum. Without seeing the knife I'm not sure how to adjust for the gold and the hue of the pearl (which can be all over the place).

You should do two things when shooting your engraving: 1.) shoot with a custom white balance, and 2.) shoot RAW.

This is a really spectacular piece of engraving, Mitch. Hats off to you, man! :tiphat:

mitch_lake.jpg

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mitch,

You have a distinctive style that is flawless, and I am sure you have earned your right to be top dog with this and other styles!

Thank you for the detailed answers. I am inspired!

best

Rod

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
thanks to all- i blush! over the years i've been accused of engraving for other engravers (as opposed to just doing work that will easily please the average client), but your kind comments make it all worth it.

btw Sam- that did help some, but how did you turn the pins platinum, too? photoshop alchemy?

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mitch, I'd say you deserve one 'kudo' for every one of those dots. And yes, I have an idea of how many, many dots there are. :bow:

Sam

Staff member
thanks to all- i blush! over the years i've been accused of engraving for other engravers (as opposed to just doing work that will easily please the average client), but your kind comments make it all worth it.

btw Sam- that did help some, but how did you turn the pins platinum, too? photoshop alchemy?

Oops...sorry about the pins! I was in a hurry...we're packing for the JCK show. :eek: Yes, photoshop.

Latest posts

Sponsors