Art That Is On The Money

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Ken,You really come up with some interesting subjects,I know two engravers at bureau of printing & engraving and they tell me they have six mouths to engrave a portrait.Nice work if you can get it.:thumbsup: J.J.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
In about 1992 I took the standard public tour of the Bureau of Engraving and was disappointed to see that it was about as interesting as going through a newspaper's press plant. When it was over I talked to a supervisor, he made a call, I went across the street, gave somebody some info to run an impromptu security check, walked over to the Jefferson Memorial to kill time, came back in an hour or so and got the grand private tour of the 7th floor, where all the good stuff happens. I met one of their head engravers, Thomas Hindschen(?), who was working on a larger portrait of Ulysses S. Grant. He was understandably vague about its intended purpose, but I later learned it was for the new $50. We had a nice chat about tools, using a microscope, etc.- the usual stuff we all talk about whenever we meet. It was definitely one of the highlights of my trip to our nation's capital.

Sponsors