Question: ink and abke treatment for nickel plating

MICHAEL

Elite Cafe Member
I was looking over Jim Alaimo's Nutmeg Sports website and saw he uses an ink and bake treatment on his nickel plating to make the engraving more visible. I tried an internet search and his website keeps coming up. I was wondering if anyone knows how this is done and how durable it is, or if it can be redone easily if needed?
Ive been using a a kingsize sharpie to show the engraving better on brass backstraps and SS pistols. I figured this was the easiest thing for the customer to be able to touch up after cleaning to show the engraving and if they decide they don't like it they can clean it out with some acetone and a nylon brush. I was just wondering what is used on nickel plating to show off the engraving. I like the idea of something permanent like this ink and bake treatment. I plan on engraving some 1860 BP pistols and having them nickeled at some point this year.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam recommends (and i and many others use) flat black paint to blacken the cuts. i use Rust-o-Leum brand. he may have more info in tips or tutorials.

i'm guessing the 'baked' part you're asking about is a type of baking lacquer used on case-hardened guns, etc., such as this: http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=20475/Product/BAKING_LACQUER_LIQUID (i did notice the matte clear is being discontinued and they're down to 7 cans...)

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ok Reviving this thread been doing my search in cannot find anything either, what he is talking about is ink that you add and you bake it to seal it in, i belive finger print ink is used but im not sure, anyone have any info?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
I find that Speedball Oil Based Printers Ink does a great job and is very durable if baked under the heat of a light bulb about a foot away.
Just my 2 cents.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I find that Speedball Oil Based Printers Ink does a great job and is very durable if baked under the heat of a light bulb about a foot away.
Just my 2 cents.
John, you barrel o knowledge! Going to call you soon to pick your mind!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Carlos,
One of the good things about using Speedball Oil Based printers ink is that you can vary the color or darkness of the background.
When I want a "softer" look than "full on black" on a stainless or nickel finish I mix a little white into the black ink before applying it.
The dark gray ink give good contrast with an antique look without harshness.
On a gold plated gun I often use a brown ink for the background. Brown ink also distinguishes the gold BG warmly without harsh contrast.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
On a gold plated gun I often use a brown ink for the background. Brown ink also distinguishes the gold BG warmly without harsh contrast.

brown ink or paint also gives a more realistic, natural look to cuts & shading in gold.

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Forget the Baking lacquer. The last time I used it I could wipe it off with my finger. I use Etcher's ink. After it dries for about 2 weeks Acetone will not wash it off. If you are going to case harden you must case harden first.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
I found that etching ink works for me on guns and scrimshaw in ivory,the etching ink will be a lot darker compared to liquid ink.:thumbsup: J.J.

Latest posts

Sponsors