V8 Rocket Ship

Scratchmo

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
This is my favorite carving from my recently completed "batch" of hobo nickels. It's designed like a 50's style car complete with a V8 engine.
RLhobo2011-11.jpg

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Hey Ron, this is super! I love the retro look you've captured and the quality of the carving is superb. Great nickel indeed! :beerchug:

Scratchmo

Thanks guys, that was the look I was going for on this carving and I put my usual heat-toned patina on it but did not rub off the highlights as usual, thus keeping it dark blue like in outer space. But, I'm thinking about bright cutting the stars and polishing just the chrome trim on the ship to give it just a bit of sparkle.

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
50's retro. Looks like that exhaust manifold is a 312 Ford Thunderbird Special engine. Flatheads only have 3 tubes and Chevies go down.

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I LOVE IT! Takes me back to some of my old comic books. Rather than just bright cutting the stars, inlay them with gold! You could also burnish the exhaust flames with gold foil.

Scratchmo

Yep... a 312 T-bird with triple dueces.. or twin quads I can't remember, anyway we're going fully blown next paycheck ;-) I like the idea of the inlaid stars... maybe in fine silver and re-blue.

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Dual quads or Paxton supercharger were factory options. Three deuces were aftermarket. I had a 57 Victoria that I bought from a Ford factory mechanic who had ordered it special from the factory. It was awesome for its day....ate 327 corvettes and 406 Fords for breakfast.

I was coming back from the National Drags in 1967 at 2am. Fell asleep at the wheel south of Kankakee, after just having pulled over and sleeping for an hour. Cut a telephone pole off 9 feet in the air. It's still there with my name on it....cost me $1200. My only injury was a bruise on my calf from the Hurst shifter.

tbear

I think you all missed the inspiration. not to date anyone but the coin looks like something Buster Crabbe would have carried or even a Give Away that Flash Gordon would have left his enemies, sort of like the Lone Ranger and his Silver Bullets. ;););)

Latest posts

Sponsors