Question: Revolvers for engraving

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
Hello,

I'm planning on buying a revolver for engraving project. As there are so many options to choose from and as I understand many of them aren't that good for engraving, because of too hard metal. I'd like to ask you pro's - what would be the good one to engrave?

My favorite one because of good looks is Colt Python, but I'm afraid I can't get it locally and it's out of production. What I definitely can get are Ruger Redhawk and GP100 - how are these? Most likely I could also get S&W 629...

But all other good and current model suggestions from any company are welcome. Not many of them are available here, so I have to start a wide search :). Would be a plus if they are good shooters too.

Viljo

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Viljo
Inmy experience, I would stay away from the Rugers and they are very hard and inconsistant to engrave. I have had very good luck with the Smith and Wesson revolvers. The stainless frames cut very well. They cylinders and barrels are a bit harder but do cut well. I would go with the 629 if you can get it. Just my 2 cents worth. Good luck with the project

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I agree with Marty. Some people have done the Rugers without problems but I have found them near impossible. They seem to vary from gun to gun. The S&W line is usually decent to engrave and if you could find a standard 29 (not stainless) it would cut even nicer but the S&W stainless does cut decent.

leschowe

Elite Cafe Member
I recently purchased a Single Action Army in Colt 45 (4 3/4 inch barrel) for a firearms engraving class that I will start in a couple of weeks with Mike Dubber. This gun is made by US Firearms and the model is named "Rodeo". This is a blued gun and the only case hardened part is the hammer which will be annealed by a Mikes' gunsmith. This is a very beautiful gun and I am looking forward to engraving it.

Les Schowe

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I would suggest a Colt Single Action Army is the very best revolver to engrave if you wish to make a buck on it.
You can usually find a good third generation gun with minor wear for 1000 or less.

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks! Looks like currently at the top of the list are S&W (6)29 and Colt SAA. Although I highly doubt I will be able to find SAA here locally.

Any other companies and/or models?

leschowe

Elite Cafe Member
I think that there are several manufactures of SAA replicas. Uberti is one that was my second choice for my class (second choice but I still think that it is an excellently manufactured firearm.) Here is their website:

http://www.uberti.com/firearms/single_action_cattleman.php

I think that the Uberti "Chisholm" is the closest to the US Firearms
"Rodeo" that I purchased. I also think that the Uberti firearms are manufactured in Italy which might be easier for you to obtain.

Les Schowe

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
vilts,The Rugers are not that hard to engrave,what tools do you engrave with H&C or power assist? I like the engraving you did on the rifle bolt.J.J.:thumbsup:

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
vilts,The Rugers are not that hard to engrave,what tools do you engrave with H&C or power assist? I like the engraving you did on the rifle bolt.J.J.:thumbsup:

OK, thanks. If I can't get something else, then Ruger is the way. I use power assist gravers.

Is there a difference between S&W models, or do they all cut the same?

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
vilts,When I engrave any firearm made of stainless steel I use my Lindsay Classic with the dead blow tungsten piston,90 degree graver 50 degree face 17 degree heel. J.J.:thumbsup:

Sponsors