Engraver's Script Instruction

Artemiss

Elite Cafe Member
Fred,

It maybe worth drawing up a page with the appropriate lines and slants, then just photocopy a few pages to use. Keep the original as your master copy.

Jo

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

arcangel6

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Fred,

The link below is to a pdf files containing sheets to print out that contain three different x-heights as well as slant lines (~52 degrees). I should note that the actual slant angle number is less important than keeping all your letters at the same slant angle regardless of its value. It also contains a cover page showing the proper use of lines.

http://www.iampeth.com/lessons/guidesheets/VitoloScriptGuidelinesFromVideoClips.pdf

Regards,

Joe Vitolo

Last edited:

arcangel6

Elite Cafe Member
Considering the Angles

Hi,

I am not sure if I posted this already.....don't feel like sifting through 15 pages of posts.......this image shows the dramatic effect that inconsistent slant angles have on Copperplate script. Which ever angle you prefer just be consistent.

Joe Vitolo

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Joseph, Thank you very much for the link. It is much appreciated-I have really enjoyed what have so generously been teaching. Thank You is hardly enough-Fred

arcangel6

Elite Cafe Member
Hi,

You may find interest in this video overview of the Wren Press printing facilities in London. They are one of the few to still do copperplate hand-engraving and Intaglio printing. This is one of the historical link between pen and burin:

http://vimeo.com/7348951

Regards,

Joe Vitolo

arcangel6

Elite Cafe Member
Another Wonderful Lettering Resource

Palmer's Penmanship Budget: This instructional book was published by the Palmer School of Penmanship. It was a competitor publication to The Zanerian Manual. The first 81 pages cover handwriting and Spencerian scripts. Starting on page 82 onward you will find wonderful instruction in text lettering as well as Engraver's script instruction (second link).

Entire index:
http://www.iampeth.com/books/palmer_budget/palmers_budget_index.php

Link starting at page 82:
http://www.iampeth.com/books/palmer_budget/palmers_budget_page83.html

Regards,

Joe Vitolo

arcangel6

Elite Cafe Member
Constructing LARGE Dramatic Shades

In this series you can see how past master Louis Madarasz constructed dramatic shade heft.

Regards,

Joe Vitolo

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Joe, Thanks for sharing your knowledge with us yet again. In this first example the openness in the shade strokes is quit nice and the filled in second shows up as quit bold and even more dramatic. In both I am having problems understanding the consistency of which part of each letter is receiving the bold stroke. Also having problems being able to read the word. The beauty of this type of penmanship is without question. I believe that unless the goal is simply to create beautiful strokes is should be readable without effort. For my unskilled eyes I find this exemplar far to difficult to interpret. I am not sure what it says. Is it English?- I find the brush strokes of Chinese and Japanese as well as other far eastern and middle eastern languages to very beautiful to look at and appreciate the art and penmanship (if that is appropriate word for the brush strokes) but can not read, so simply enjoying the art rather than "reading". This may be one of those times. Many languages have wondrous shapes to characters and probably have their own "calligraphy" styles and rules and design principles. I venture to guess that many would lead to pretty interesting design possibilities if applied outside the box so to say. Pardon my ramble,Fred

arcangel6

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Fred,

Thanks for the comment. This was perhaps an extreme example. In that specimen Madarasz is using a highly stylized form of ornate script in writing the name 'Shakespeare'. This is something one penman would pen to impress his colleagues. Below i posted a less extreme instructional example by him.

In this specimen, Madarasz write the word 'Thomas'. Please note the like the Shakespeare specimen he uses an Ornamental Script capital letter. However, unlike the word Shakespeare he is using more traditional Copperplate lower case letters that have been modified. While I am not a fan of modifying the lowercase letters in this style, modifying the capital can have a dramatic effect. Keep in mind that this was applied to Ornamental/Spencerian capital letters. In addition, the underscoring 'sword swash' also can add impact.

Regards,

Joe

arcangel6

Elite Cafe Member
That's All Folks!

Hi,

I've pretty much posted all the information and links that I have. This will be my final post. I'd like to thank everyone for their interest. In particular, I'd like to thank Sam for his gracious indulgence of this very long thread. I will be checking back from time to time. Lastly, I'd like to finish with a re-post of the following information:

I make ALL of my instructional materials available without cost since my day job pays my bills. At some point I will publish a Book/DVD instructional manual for my style of script. If any Engravers on this site are interested I’ve decided to make my complete Copperplate Workshop Handout available to members of this site. There is no cost and no catch. You may download and print the complete 87 page Workshop Handout at:

http://www.zanerian.com/VitoloBookHandoutComplete3.pdf

I just ask that you do not distribute this file since it will serve as the basis of my future instructional book should I ever get around to publishing it. The instruction manual is composed of several of the articles I’ve published over the years. Please keep in mind that these are individual articles pasted together; therefore, the narrative does not read as a cohesive book. Even though it is intended for pointed pen instruction it is my hope that Engravers will find the concepts contained with in helpful.

Regards,

Joe Vitolo

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sir,

While this is your last post in this thread, I sincerely hope it is not your last post here. Your insight and instruction is a valuable resource we can all use.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Joe, I would like to thank you for your generosity and time. The sharing of this knowledge will serve engravers well. I think you will note that the number of views you have had is testimate to the interest you have generated. That interest should provide you with motivation to create your written and digital offering. Thank you again for your time and effort. Fred Marrinan

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Many thanks, Joe. This is truly a treasure trove of information which I will now add to the Tips Archive. Thanks much for your generosity!

Latest posts

Sponsors