My Second Engraved Gun

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Well, it's been about 3 years since my first attempt at gun engraving. I wanted to use this second pistol as a real test platform for several new (to me) techniques. So what's new on this gun? This is my first inlayed line (Silver), my first real line bulino (thanks to Chris De Camillis' DVDs :tiphat:), first engraving on a domed surface (recoil shield), first time designing and drawing directly onto the metal, without transfers (this was an eye-opener), first screw head engraving, and first time engraving in cast brass.

I want to thank Roger Bleile :thumbsup: for the suggestion last year, to use the Italian Colt repos. as practice guns. I have been very pleased with this one I found on Cablelas website. It's a repo of a Colt Confederate Navy 44 cal. So in keeping with the Navy theme, and the fact that next Mar. will be the 150 year anniversary of the Battle of the Ironclads here in Hampton Roads, I decided to do a "themed" pistol based on the U.S.S Monitor vs. the C.S.N. Virginia (Merrimack).

There are several Naval themed images on the pistol. The portraits are of the ships Captains (those who served during the actual battle). The flags are the Naval battle flags appropriate for each ship. On the top of the backstrap is the Confederate Naval Insignia as found on their officers' uniforms. There is Neptune's trident and a few seashells also.

The photos are the best that I could do with my equipment. I really should find a pro to do them in finer detail and better lighting. I tried and tried to get clear shots of the engraved cylinder, but none of them came out very clear. The cylinder is engraved with a detailed bulino scene of the Battle of the Ironclads. Later this weekend, if I can get enough time, I will remove the cylinder and ink it and then do a pull to show the scene.

All the detail photos were taken while the pistol was still in the white.

This puppy took me 3 months of weekends and many weeknights too. I figure with actual metal prep and engraving, I've got about 160 hours on this pistol. Then there was unknown number of hours of research and sketches, and multiple drawings. I had the first set of preliminary drawings with me at the FEGA convention in Reno this year. And, several seasoned engravers gave me invaluable suggestions on improving the designs. So without further ado, please feel free to give me honest critiques, I can take it!

Attachments

• Colt-44-left-side-finished-copy.jpg
    Colt-44-left-side-finished-copy.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 189
  • Colt-44-left-side-closeup-copy.jpg
    Colt-44-left-side-closeup-copy.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 180
  • Colt-44-right-side-closeup-copy.jpg
    Colt-44-right-side-closeup-copy.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 183
  • Colt-44-left-barrel-detail-copy.jpg
    Colt-44-left-barrel-detail-copy.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 157
  • Colt-44-front-of-barrel-copy.jpg
    Colt-44-front-of-barrel-copy.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 188
  • Colt-44-right-side-finished-copy.jpg
    Colt-44-right-side-finished-copy.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 208
  • Colt-44-left-bulino-detail.jpg
    Colt-44-left-bulino-detail.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 191
  • Colt-44-right-frame-detail-copy.jpg
    Colt-44-right-frame-detail-copy.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 190
  • Colt-44-left-frame-detail-copy.jpg
    Colt-44-left-frame-detail-copy.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 202
  • Colt-44-left-recoil-shield-copy.jpg
    Colt-44-left-recoil-shield-copy.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 191
  • Colt-44-right-side-barrel-in-white-copy.jpg
    Colt-44-right-side-barrel-in-white-copy.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 182
  • Colt-44-backstrap-copy-2.jpg
    Colt-44-backstrap-copy-2.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 178
  • Colt-44-right-recoil-shield-detail-copy.jpg
    Colt-44-right-recoil-shield-detail-copy.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 164
  • Colt-44-bottom-strap-copy.jpg
    Colt-44-bottom-strap-copy.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 159
  • Colt-44-backstrap-top-copy.jpg
    Colt-44-backstrap-top-copy.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 161

Andrew Biggs

Congratulations Mark. You should be proud of yourself!!

You've done an excellent job on some tricky surfaces and the overall theme and design looks good.

I'll look forward to seeing the next gun you engrave :)

Cheers
Andrew

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Doc Mark,

You should be very proud of this work:clapping:
The design on the backstrap is especially inspired:pencil:
I can't wait to see the cylinder scene:thumbsup:

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mark,

For your second gun, the work is exceptional for a self taught engraver. You really shine on the portraits but I would expect that given your cameo carving skill. I particularly like the treatment of your signature on the butt.

I'm glad that you found my advice useful on the choice of a workpiece. A cap & ball revolver treats you to a whole range of challenges at a cost that is modest enough that you can afford to keep your early work.

Well done:happyvise:

Roger

Last edited:

jetta77

Elite Cafe Member
Great work Mark. but for all that time and effort I think using silver was a bad choice, gold would of gone better w the brass and added more value to the piece.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
:tiphat: hats off to you, Mark. Very well done. I especially like the portraits. Oh, and the photos are really nice! Certainly far better than my second gun engraving. You've earned braggin' rights on this piece. Congrats :happyvise:

Bama

Elite Cafe Member
Very nice work Doc, I am still trying to build up the nerve to start my first gun. Well done all the way around.

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Very impressive Mark.
I would agree with Jeff; use gold. Your work is at the level where you should use the best materials.
That first image is very cool.
Kevin P.

Mike Fennell

Elite Cafe Member
Hey fellow airline passenger, the more I study your photos, the more I like the gun.

Congratulations, you have made a very fine piece to show potential customers and demonstrate what you can do for them.

You received honest critique from Simone on your earlier work, and this project shows that you are able to profit from good advice. Keep up the good work.

Mike Fennell

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors