Starting up, part 2 (sharpening)

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
Hello,

Thank you all for last time when I asked advice here about buying engraving machine. I bought GraverMax SC and it's excellent (maybe because I haven't tried anything else, but probably because it's good anyway). But now I need sharpening system.

I think I'll build power hone myself, because this costs just way too much for what you get - box with motor and switch... Are there any other points to consider about building power hone than to have low rpm and perfectly leveled surfaces?

It seems that I have to buy dual angle sharpening fixture, it would take too much time to make.

But what laps do I need? In sharpening video that Sam sent me (many thanks!) he uses 260, 600 grit diamond laps and ceramic lap. Plus leather treated with diamond spray. Is this all I need to sharpen engravers happily ever after?

Is it somehow possible to not to have diamond laps, but use some kinds of sandpaper or similar attached to blank lap?

Do I really need ceramic lap? It's price is just crazy... Maybe it could also be replaced with something else like Arkansas stone, or something similar?

Viljo

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi Viljo, before all of this new fangled stuff came along, us old timers did it by hand. That is a pretty difficult thing to learn and get consistent. The hone type graver sharpening system is one of the greatest things to come along and is probably responsible for the new age of engraving. An old, good method is the dowel and stone, but it is too complicated to go into it here. It is a simple system and fast and will get you started if you can't spring for the power hone. I still use it because I don't like to stop and go through the set-up process. I can have a tool sharpened quickly. If you have any of Lynton's tapes, you can leaarn of that process there. Good luck!
Ron S

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
Ron, it is indeed amazing what old masters have achieved just by using hand tools. Even our own Estonian Eduard Viiralt did amazing engravings back in the 1900's (examples here, here and here).

But the thing is that I'd like to accelerate my learning process as much as possible, so the fewer things I have to learn at the time the better for me. So I'll go the power hone way anyway and I'd skip the hand sharpening right now, but I need to work out the details for powered system, so to speak :)

Viljo

Swede

Vilts, I thought about making my own power hone too. It's possible, but don't underestimate the time and perhaps $$ to make a good one. You'll need to turn a precision spindle with a standard 1/2" nose, a system to secure the wheel to the spindle, a framework overall to hold it all together, and it needs to be made with adjustments so that the wheel runs true. The GRS hone is really not so expensive when it comes down to it. I'm thinking a DA sharpener is easier to make than a good power hone.

Another option is the Glendo Accu-finish series 1. This is essentially a GRS hone with the addition of a very useful table for sharpening things other than gravers. If you have machine tools, the accu-finish will do good work for you, both for gravers, AND for lathe bit and insert sharpening. Just a thought.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

deazyner

Viljo- I built a power hone by purchasing a new small gear motor for $30 on Ebay that spins at slow RPM's. I don't remember the exact specs but it was very easy to build and it works great. I bought a backing plate and lapidiary diamond laps also off of Ebay.I believe they were about $25 each. Just a suggestion.

Keith

ihsfab

Elite Cafe Member
Vilts, This is the power hone I made I use one of Steve Lindsay lap's and I use Paul H. graver sharping fixtures. The motor turns at 1740rpm with a 1 inch pulley and the spindle has a 4inch pulley on it so it turns at around 435rpm. The spindle is 1/2 ground steel shaft mounted on pillow block bearings. The case is 12 ga mild steel that has been bent at a 90 degree. The belt is a large o-ring its smoother than a v-belt. I know somebody is going to ask me about the run out of the lap. From after getting it all set up which wasn't much the run out was .0005 of a inch which I didn't think was to bad considering I didn't do any machine work to this other than use a drill press.

IMG_1842#2.jpg

IMG_1844#2.jpg

sdcoxx

Elite Cafe Member
As a beginner, I've found the GRS power hone to be a asset to reduce time spent sharpening gravers and spenting my time actually engraving. I've just completed the GRS Western Silver Engraving Class by Jeremiah Watt. I purchased the 1200 grit diamond wheel to help improve my ablility to polish gravers for bright cuts.
After each class I take, I find there is something I need to add to my arsenal of engraving tools.
Stephen

KSnyder

Elite Cafe Member
Vilts, if you know / understand cutting tools the stone & dowel method as Ron mentioned is fast & easy and not too terribly hard to understand. McKenzie tape is very clear on this.
I use ceramic stone & diamond plates (never wear out in my lifetime).
If you want to make your own power hone would an old record player work? I'll bet a record turntable could be adapted/ ?
Good luck,
Kent

Steve223

Elite Cafe Member
Stephen how was Jeremiahs class? I have his tapes and they were a big help to me and i want to take a class from him at some point. I sharpen by hand and i think its harder to learn than the engraving.

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
not bad at all, considering no major machining involved !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aaron Nelson

I've heard some alleged stories about people using a electric can opener as the basis of a slow-turning hone. Maybe you find one in an second hand store and fiddle with it. I haven't tried, it, and only heard about it after buying a power hone myself.

ihsfab

Elite Cafe Member
Monk, I have less than $100 in the hone (thats not counting the lap). It would cost more if you had to buy a new 1/4 horse motor and have someone bend or make a frame.

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you all for info. It seems that DIY is the way to go. As I can use lathe and very skilled father, making simple hone will not be a problem. Soon I'll get dual angle sharpening fixture and 600/1200 diamond lap, after that sharpening is just a walk in the park.

Few days ago I registered to Sam's Basic Engraving class which is held in Antwerp, Belgium on July. I bet this will be very interesting. Man, I'm excited! Anyone else from here is going there?

Viljo

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Viljo: Glad you're coming to my class in Belgium! It'll be nice to meet you. / ~Sam

delder

Elite Cafe Member
There is nothing like the real thing, but I made a simple rig from an old ceiling fan motor I picked up at a thrift store. I mounted a small disk on top, built a box around it. Works great! I spray easy tack on old CDs and mount various grits of paper ontop . When you're on a limited budget you have to improvise.

Doug Elder

Latest posts

Sponsors