Coin carvers dream

Gargoyle

Official Cafe Stone Carver
The Canadian mint has produced a $1m cdn gold coin. I'm eagerly waiting for the first one of you to carve a hobo nickel out of it and post the photo here.

It's 53 centimetres (21 inches) in diameter and over 3 cm (1.2 inches) thick, and weighs 100kg (220.5 lbs). Purity is 99.999%

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have one on order for you. Please send photo or art of what you like carved onto it. The final price will depend on the complexity of the project. Your estimate cost will be approximately 125,000 euros.
:)

Gargoyle

Official Cafe Stone Carver
I have one on order for you. Please send photo or art of what you like carved onto it. The final price will depend on the complexity of the project. Your estimate cost will be approximately 125,000 euros.
:)
Is that just for labor, or does it include materials (the coin)? Do I get all the chips you shave off of it?

TallGary

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
yes that includes the coin & labor, no you don't get the chips and it will be in deep relief.

It will need to be so deep relief that there will be about 7% of the coin remaining if Mike expects to make a Euro or two on the job.

Value of the chunk is 1,623,000 Euros at todays spot gold price. ($2.2 million US but who's counting--:rolleyes: )

Gary

Billzach

Elite Cafe Member
I carved a 1892 twenty dollar gold coin a few years ago for a collector and saved the chips for him..

TallGary

:::Pledge Member:::
Something like this is a little more affordable:

Attachments

• american_buffalo_mint_ms70_2007.jpg
    american_buffalo_mint_ms70_2007.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 47
  • american_buffalo_mint_ms70_2007_rev.jpg
    american_buffalo_mint_ms70_2007_rev.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 46

coincutter

Elite Cafe Member
All waste gold accepted here

closest i have come is carving one of these on a nickel for one of my collectors

i just did the image on the left.
Needless to say it was a fun project but the chips wern't worth a penny. Now if I could get someone to ask me to carve one of those new coins into a nickel i could retire.

But if you really wan't one in a smaller size and can get some gold let me know. I have a friend who can make you one. Getting it into the country will be your problem as will be getting out of jail!

monk

Staff member
save the chips

there's a metals dealer 5 blocks from my home. i'd handle all the chips for forum members at no expense to them.

Latest posts

Sponsors