My pieces for the Sheridan Show

mtgraver

Elite Cafe Member
I've just finished and quickly took some photos of the finished pieces. I've sent a silver mounted coconut goblet styled vessel with a tapered/flared pedestal base hammered into a slight concave shape. Three chased and repousee' pineapples holding the coconut. All the silver is riveted in place and hand polished. This is reminiscent of rare coconut articles of the 18th c. The pinwheel chip carving was accomplished using the same motions as push gravers are used.
The other item is a small silver rum cup built from sheet stock.
I've submitted both to the Engravers and Silversmith Show in Sheridan, Wy. so if you're in the area please that a look.
Mark

Attachments

• 20110509_15.jpg
    20110509_15.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 197

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'm very well stocked with Lamb's Navy Rum should I ever get a chance to try out one of your rum cups. :)

:bow: Nice work as usual. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Andrew Biggs

Very nice Mark

I especially like the running border around the bottom of the large cup and the way it spirals giving it some movement.

Neal............ a fine addition to any cup :)

Cheers
Andrew

mtgraver

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks guys,
I at least know they both hold water but I'm afraid rum seems to evaporate from those little cups, Doc. Sure wish I was traveling to Wy. but not this year, I was hoping to see some of the bright cut work since that's not seen much in my realm.
Andrew, I appreciate your view, I did have a thought of more coverage and wrestled with it but the clock ran out so it made the decision easy in the end, less is more. I'm glad you noticed the achievement.
Mark

Don Butler

Mark,
We received your coconut goblet and rum cup day before yesterday for the show. Cool pieces! Sorry to hear you won't be able to make it because it looks like this is going to be a good show. All the pieces that have arrived are really nice. Its' like Christmas every day for the last week or so with all this great work arriving by mail and UPS. The postman asked yesterday what in the world is going on with all these flat rate boxes we have been receiving all of a sudden. Any way I wanted to let you know we got your work. Thank You.
Don

mtgraver

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Don,
I hope ya'll have a great show and I want to say again thanks to you, Jeremiah and Colleen for all the time and effort that goes into putting something like this together. I helped from the beginning in getting the Contemporary Longrifle Association annual show going some years ago now. The rewards come with smiles many times and that's one of the great parts of doing all the work. I look forward to seeing those friends I've made every year. I hope to one day make out to yours.
Mark

Bama

Elite Cafe Member
Mark I agree with Andrew the running boarder gives it some movement and I also aggree that sometimes less is more and that fits in this case. I am looking forward to the CLA show. I have a rifle that I am trying to get finished up and hope to post some pictures here. I have a post asking about the barrel name plate inlay. If you get a chance take a look at my post and let me know what you think.

mtgraver

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks guys it's nice to know they were well received.
Jim funny thing I saw your post before I got here and left some ideas. Look forward to seeing what you've been working on. Yep I'll see you at the CLA show in August.
Mark

Latest posts

Sponsors