Morgan Dollar Carving

Degs

Elite Cafe Member
Hi JohnB

I'll be going down to Wantage later in the year, probably July....... camera at the ready..... probably make a visit to the other places too. I'll email any photos.

Didn't take it as a critisizm Ron, besides any critisizm from you is a free lesson, you're one of the guys that got me engraving again after seeing your work. In fact most of the guys that inspired me to start again are on this forum...:D :D :D

Cheers

Degs

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Degs,
The late Terry Wallace, in one of the videos from FEGA (Firearms Engravers Guild of America) talks about punches that he made up. They were oval in shape so that you can keep the line going in the right direction. He engraved fine lines on the end as close together as he could get them and then ground them to the size he needed. they were hardened and tempered with a slight rounding on the edge. He used these to produce the illusion of short hair. He stated that he did his modeling then used the puches to create the short hair look. I beleive the tape was "Fine Line Engraving with Terry Wallace". Fred

Degs

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for that Fred...... I'll have a look. I'll also have to get a few more casts with good examples of hairy things.

Cheers
Degs

Latest posts

Sponsors