How to stay logged in

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I notice when I read through several posts and I decide to reply to one the login screen will pop up there like I haven't logged in. This is after my inital login and this also happens at the knifenetwork forum.

Is it a setting on my computer that needs to be changed? Some sort of user setting in my profile? It happens at work a lot so maybe it's their system that times out my login? Beats me!

Somebody hepp me pweeze.:eek:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Tim: I'm not sure what the cause is, but when you log in, check the checkbox that says REMEMBER ME. I suspect it's something to do with IE's cookies and/or security. I also highly recommend Firefox as a browser for PC users.

Mac user Sam

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
They have that on some of the computers at work, evidently illegally downloaded by folks other than the system Admin because they never work right. Probably installed wrong.

Why do you recommend it?

Sam

Staff member
Firefox is an open source browser that's giving Internet Explorer a serious run for its money. It's stable, secure, lightweight and fast, and not prone to a lot of IE issues. No software's perfect, but it's proven itself as one of the best. Both Windows and Mac versions are rock solid applications.

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Tim you probably have your browser set to delete your cookies everyday. That's where the the remember me that Sam mentioned comes into play. Go to tools, internet options, GENERAL check your settings for cookies and also check PRIVACY setting should be set around medium.
Mike

Sam

Staff member
I can almost guarantee that the staying-logged-in problems are browser related. I will research this more and let you know if I discover anything.

Life would be much easier if there weren't so many badguys, spammers, and spyware people trying to attack computers via Internet Explorer. For this reason browser security levels are usually kept fairly tight, and this can cause a variety of annoyances.

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I think you're probably right. I just clicked the icon on my desktop to come here to the forum (from home) and it had me logged in still from last night. Some setting that I probably can't control at work is automatically deleting cookies periodically during a session and every time I log out.

I can post something from work, hit the back button to another thread and try to post a reply to it and it'll ask for my credentials again.

Don't put too much time into researching it on account of me Sam, I think I may be onto something.

Latest posts

Sponsors