Critique Request Zippo No. 9

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
This project has been a long time coming, but finally it's finished. My Zippo number 9. The design is done after I watched Sam's design DVD and I'm sure the influence shows.

The good, bad and ugly comments are more than welcome!

Attachments

• zippo_v9_web.jpg
    zippo_v9_web.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 335

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Techniquely brilliant. I don't know what it says, but the lettering is well executed, too. I do see one scroll backbone positioning error, but I won't point it out unless you ask me to, because if you like it, and I point out a flaw, all you will ever see in the future when you look at it is the flaw, so I won't do it unless you ask for it!

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Vilts, handsome engraving; almost makes me want to take up smoking. I did say almost!
Very nice work. Thanks for giving us a look.
Kevin

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
BEAUTIFUL work Viljo! Your shading is EXCELLENT as is your design. I suppose you know, the scroll coming off of the largest one on the top right corner "technically" should be going the other way:big grin:

I bet you won't get many complaints though! That is REALLY nice!

santos

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Viljo

I have seen this latin proverb before on a sundial. The last cigaret is like the last hour, isn't it ? The last kills...

You're a killer with this one ; BRAVO Viljo

Jean

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
Come on, don't be a tease :)

How else can I learn, if not from my mistakes?

Techniquely brilliant. I don't know what it says, but the lettering is well executed, too. I do see one scroll backbone positioning error, but I won't point it out unless you ask me to, because if you like it, and I point out a flaw, all you will ever see in the future when you look at it is the flaw, so I won't do it unless you ask for it!

Peter, actually that scroll is not coming from the large one, but from under it. But indeed, it probably isn't too clear.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Vilts, that is some beautifully designed scrollwork. The design is interesting and requires careful study to really appreciated all of what's going on. The shading is also great. You have seriously kicked it up a notch with this piece and it's been great to watch your journey in hand engraving. I have little to critique with the scroll.

The lettering isn't bad but it's not in the same league with the scrollwork. But this doesn't concern me because anyone that can cut scrollwork like this can easily master script lettering. My recommendation is to study the engravers script alphabet and learn to draw each letter perfectly. Two good sources are the Bergling and Meek books.

Thanks for posting this. It's an absolutely joy to see. :beerchug:

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
^^^ Makes sense Viljo. At a glance, that one scroll caught my eye, as the continuation of the backbone isn't obvious.

It is EXCELLENT work and the lighter looks great!

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
O.K., I'll concede! Your design is more subtle than I gave you credit for at first look. I bow to the greater knowledge of the forum, and retract all negatives I have written. Beautiful work.

AndrosCreations

Elite Cafe Member
Wow, I'd be darn proud of that if I cut it.... I'm saving a picture to put in my engravings photo collection. The scrollwork is super... if you see this post, Vilts... Do you know what the particular zippo model number is?

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for the kind words!

Andros, this is regular brass Zippo. I think model is 204B

AndrosCreations

Elite Cafe Member
Great... thanks for the info. I did some lettering on a 204B and it went well but wasn't sure if the case was beefy enough to handle allot of background removal. The calipers indicated .6mm.

Once again,.. beautiful work.

Latest posts

Sponsors