More Flare Cutting

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Here's a Ruger I treated to full coverage flare cut American scroll, with relieved and stippled backgrounds, and gold wire inlay.
RUGER BACKSTRAP FULL.jpg

Last edited:

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Man, I really like this Flare Cutting effect! Which model Ruger is this and how hard was it to engrave? Which brings up another question. How do you guys engrave the hardened hammers? I'm currently doing a replica Colt 1851, cap and ball pistol. I've had no trouble cutting any part of the gun except for the hammer. On the hammer, all I could do was lightly scratch the surface and break engraver tips! Do you anneal the hardened metals and then re-temper them after engraving?

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks for the replies, guys. Doc Mark, this is a Ruger Vaquero (old model, full size. The one they don't make anymore). It started life as a blued, "case hardened" gun with the faugh ivory grips you see on it. Now, how do you engrave hardened hammers, etc? Well, the Ruger's hammer wasn't that much harder than the gun, which was slightly unfun on the barrel and cylinder, especially when inlaying the gold. I had been told that Ruger loading gates were unengravable due to hardness, but it wasn't by a long shot. When a part is really hard, I use a rotary tool, the name of which escapes me, but which I got from GRS. Then I go back over the work with carbide gravers, taking light cuts and resharpening a lot! I never anneal and reharden, as I am very leary of making an unsafe part, which could be a disaster!

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It started life as a blued, "case hardened" gun... I had been told that Ruger loading gates were unengravable due to hardness, but it wasn't by a long shot.

Bruce (and everybody else), Only the stainless steel loading gates are super hard. The SS cylinders are also very hard but you can engrave them if you resharpen a cobalt or carbide graver a few times on each facet. Unless annealed, the SS loading gates can only be scratched. I have had to anneal the loading gate on every SS Vaquero I have engraved but I haven't done many. Jeff Flannery has engraved over 125 SS Vaqueros and he told me he had to anneal every one. In fact Jeff anneals the ones I do as I don't have a furnace. I tried doing it with a torch but the part cools too quickly and is still rock hard.

Roger

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Roger,

Thanks for the info. I've engraved about five or six Ruger Vaqueros in SS, but now that I think of it, I've never done the loading gate on any of them. They weren't full coverage. I will salt it away as something I'll need to remember some day!

Latest posts

Sponsors