DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Silver keeps going up so I figured I'd get a piece to make my wife a cuff bracelet one of these days.

A piece of Stuller's "Sterlium Plus" (their version of Argentium Silver) in 14 gauge that measures 1.5 inch X 6 inch came to $168.01. :shock:

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
hey

You must not think much of your wife if you are mentioning spending that on her.

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I was just thinking how it wasn't long ago that silver was less than 1/2 of that price. And, I remember very well when it was 1/10. My wife and I have been married for nearly 36 years now. So... I figure we must get along pretty well. I'd make the bracelet out of 14K gold but my level of engraving wouldn't warrant spending $3,713.12 for a piece of the same dimensions. But, my wife would certainly deserve it with all she's put up with through the years. :big grin:

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
You either get called a cheapskate or then she`ll kill you for wasting so much $$`s :rolleyes:
I`m sure the wife will be well pleased with a silver bracelet you made specially for her.

eastslope

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
45.86 U.S. dollars an ounce. Because I am lazy and greedy, I pretty much haven't sold any silver in 2011.

the price of silver!

Simply amazing! I teach at a small community college and the price of silver has nearly doubled since last fall.It has gone up ten dollars an ounce since the since mid Feb. All of the things i make are going to need to be repriced and silver has pretty much been eliminated as a student material. I suppose this is related to speculation and political instability in the world today.

Mike

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Chinese government has been buying at a phenomenal rate. It has been estimated that they will purchase 400 metric tons this year. All precious metals seem to be a big dry for that government.-Fred

Bama

Elite Cafe Member
China buying silver probably to make more fake US coins to flood us with.

Sandy

Elite Cafe Member
Kitco shows it at $48.44 :shock: as of 15:18 this after noon(eastern). Reports that I have read recently indicates that it may be $150 an ounce by the end of this year. :beat up:

Keith

Elite Cafe Member
Most of the fakes are made from a white brass material then plated.
They do some in 90% silver too.
Ive cut both and they cut nicely.
Pretty crazy the way the prices are going.

Last edited:

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hope so, I'll melt them down and use the silver to inlay with!!! Our coins are made of a copper center smoushed between two pieces of nickel!

Keith

Elite Cafe Member
Bruce the Chinese have been counterfeiting old US coins for a while now. type in replica or copy coin on Ebay and you will see.

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Oh! Old US coins!!! That makes much more sense. I am still getting used to the depth of thought you need when participating in this forum!! :)

Wildwire

Silver and Gold are increasing in price due to the devaluation of our "paper" dollars. Would not have the problems we are facing if we were on the gold standard (can't spend it-if you don't have it). We will see hyperinflation in the cost of all goods if we continue on this course of economic destruction. The US is so in debt and other countries are not blind to it. Silver is still a bargain compared to what it will be when the proverbial poop hits the fan.

Sandy

Elite Cafe Member
China is buying up gold and silver. In Feb 2010 they bought 260 metric tons of silver. This year in Feb they almost met that all time high by picking up 245 metric tons of the stuff. Looks like they are trying to change from paper (U.S.) to bullion. Some say that the reason for all the silver is for manufacturing of all our electronics. Who knows. What it means to me is I wont be giving away any silver engraved bracelets this year like I did last year. Silver is still the poor mans (me) hedge on gold. :tiphat:
Sandy

handengraver

Elite Cafe Member
As well as I know China is a solid producer of silver. My take is that they are cornering the market, and gain monopol position, to price silver as high as they wish. Keep your silver if you have it, this is not the time to sell yet!

Sponsors