Help, please: Engraving rifle barrels

Douglas

This is my first post to this site.
I have been researching the best way or new ideas to hold and rotate a rifle barrel for engraving. I have seen a read about some innovative ways. I’m asking this forum for help because you are the experts.
I could muddle my way by trial and error, but I found that’s not always the best.
How would you set-up you station to engrave a rifle barrel? Tools, blocks, special devices to fabricate that will improve the process.

“You don’t know what you don’t know.â€￾

Your advice and opinion would be a great help. Thanks

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Doug, Need more info,what kind of barrel is it,is there an action on the barrel?I just did a new thread a few days ago on this site about engraving barrels.You should be able to find it. J.J.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi Doug-

I've been using & refining a rifle barrel fixture of my own design for many years that will do everything* you ever dreamed of- and some things you haven't. I'd LOVE to put it into small scale production, but I have serious doubts it would sell a sufficient number of units (maybe 100?) to make it even marginally worth the time, trouble, & expense. Tooling, parts, machining, etc., add up to a $150-$200 fixture and although it would solve virtually all rifle barrel engraving problems (shotgun model is on the drawing board), I just don't see the trade supporting it in profitable quantities. Maybe if enough people send me a PM expressing LEGITIMATE INTEREST (not just fishing for info on how to make their own) I'll finally get this off the back burner.

*Breech, muzzle, long, short, .22 GnatSwatter to .600 Nitro-Cannon, ribbed, plain, round, octagon- it will handle them ALL with a grace & aplomb you'd not dared dreamed possible.

JJ Roberts

Doug,Go to page 2 and look for the thread titled holding shotgun barrels there are two pictures of my shop,you'll see my bench vise mounted to a pedestal.Keep it simple. J.J.

Douglas

The barrel is off an old Stevens 410 single shot I purchased for $90.00 to practice on.
Understand this is only my second gun to engrave; I’ve been engraving for a while just not as experienced at guns as most on this forum I’m trying to learn. I have read the FEGA hand book and this gave me some ideas how engrave the barrel but I know there is more to know.

“I have no particular talent. I am merely inquisitive.” Albert Einstein

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Douglas,

I use a product called "Thermo-loc" that I get from Glendo corp (www.grstools.com). It is a temperature sensitive plastic that you warm up in a microwave oven and then mold around your item and your vise, to lock them both together. You can then set up your barrels at any place along the barrel, engrave that part and then move the barrels along to another area. When you get out at the ends, things can get a little unsteady, but I just tape lead weights to the short end (if possible!) and engrave away.

Douglas

Your fixture sound very innovative and extraordinary I would like to see it.
My real reason for asking and doing the research is to come up with a solution I can fabricate. I guess I could purchase the fixture but I love the challenge of coming up with the solution to problem by gaining as much knowledge as I can. I’m not in the production mode I’m in the learning mode.

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” Benjamin Franklin

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Douglas,

I don't have any pictures of my set up, but it is diferent each time, because the plastic is mouldable. I usually put small posts in the holes of the vise to reinforce the plastic and use enough to make a really strong grip on the barrel. Once you see the product, it becomes self explanatory.

Douglas

I like that idea. I have some thermal lock but never thought of using it for that. That why you ask question.
“You don’t know what you don’t know.”

Thanks

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The simple answer to all of this is that there is no "easy" way to engrave a barrel. If you are using hammer and chisel it is easier to stand and do it but any power assisted gravers are tougher as no matter what you do a barrel is LONG. There are many good ideas here on how to hold it. You will learn how to make cuts halfway on a scroll, turn the barrel and do the other half. Also, I have even learned to cut some stuff left handed.
I have my set up so it swings fine over the front of my workbench and microscope but it still gets in the way of my body on the last part of the swing.
They are just going to take a lot longer to engrave.

Douglas

I'm not ambidextrous so engraving with my left will be a challenge for me. I'm really starting to realize that there is no real easy way, it takes practice and patience.
One other question for you Rex, we learned about Thermal Lock at my last class at GRS have you used it to hold the barrel? It seemed like good idea.

Thanks

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have not used it to hold a barrel as I have a thing to hold it on centers but I am sure it would work fine.
You can learn to use the other hand for small cuts if needed. It just takes time.

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Someone on here long ago posted a photo of his rig that kind of holds a long barrel like a stock checkering jig. It held the barrel at each end and rotated like a lathe center or something and the frame of it clamped in your vise. I don't know if that pic is still on here but you could try a search for it.

JJ Roberts

Tim,You may be thinking of me I use a barrel spinner when I slow rust blue rifle barrels.The barrel spinner looks just like a checkering cradle.The picture is on this site or Lindsay's.J.J.