Announcement: Scroll Drawing DVD (teaser)

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
How many times over the past few months have we seen threads on a variety of subjects end with the emphatic injunction to "DRAW, DRAW, DRAW!" The subject of Transfers, to use them or not, multiple threads on specific design problems, the use of computer graphic programs, the use of scroll templates etc. All of these issues were, at some point, brought back to earth with a poster talking about the ABSOLUTE NEED to be able to draw! There are excellent books on scroll design (Ron Smith come quickly to mind), but it's so much easier to actually WATCH someone draw a scroll while they explain what mental processes are in play. When watching, the true SENSE of the explanations come forward with more clarity.

Sam Alfano, (yes, our own Benevolent Dictator) has given me the privilege of previewing his new DVD titled "The Essential Guide to Drawing Scrolls".

It has 6 chapters covering... 1: Basic Scroll Design; what makes a good scroll, leaf lines, cap lines etc. Then on to 2: Point Errors, 3: Intermediate Scroll Design, 4: Shading Leaf Elements, 5: Leaf Fold Overs, 6: Advanced Scroll Design.

It's great being able to follow along with a pencil and paper as Sam makes these concepts so basic and understandable. There is no metal cutting on this DVD, only the solid drawing skills needed to create elegant scroll work. The Chapters move in a logical progression and before long, you begin to truly UNDERSTAND the differences between good scroll design and those that fall short.

It is a DVD that many a newcomer, (and some not so new) have been looking for. So keep your eyes peeled, soon this invaluable tool will be available to all.

mrthe

Wow i want one, and this time signed,a few days ago i have buy the successfull jewellery engraving,and is the best money that i have spent in a DVD at the time, i hope in the future that Sam can produce a new one about Jewellery because is fantastic! thank you for the info Doc ;)

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
drawing_scrolls-dvd.jpg

Thanks for the review, Mark. I appreciate it very much :)

The DVD is being pressed and printed and I'm expecting to have them ready to ship before the end of the month. I'll post a notice when they're ready.

Many thanks for your interest!

~Sam

Cloudy

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I've also had a sneak peek- absolutely awesome presentation! From the beginning to the end, it flows as great scroll work should!!!!

Sam

Staff member
Thanks folks :)

Chris: Yep, it'll be for sale on my site and I'll post an announcement here when it's ready. I don't have a video trailer yet, but I might make one.

Here's a shot of some of the drawings done in the video.

drawing_scrolls.jpg

Hora

Elite Cafe Member
Marc,

Sam was so generous to give me this advanced copy for try-out during the Reno 2011 event. What can I say, it’s exactly what I was looking for. Every step of drawing these scrolls is clearly explained and demonstrated and I could follow perfectly with my pencil and paper (and eraser!). I managed to draw my first scrolls as I would like it to be! It helps me to jump to the next level learning scroll drawing without following the long road many of you did.

Sam

Staff member
Thanks, Hora :) I will post photos of your scroll drawing efforts on my video page. If others get similar results I will be the happiest guy in town. Your drawings are just excellent!
~Sam

AndrosCreations

Elite Cafe Member
Looks incredible, Sam! Incredibly rich and tasteful flowing design work.... and the JPEG of the cover artwork that you posted could be sold to Martin or Ernie Ball for string envelope printing...

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I also got an early peek at Sam's new DVD. This is going to be one of those tools like Meeks, Smith and DeCamillis's bulino. This DVD will go on teaching for generations Just like the others. It's a must have for new and seasoned engravers. It's fun to watch and follow along with. Sam has made the video as all his are very clear and easy to understand.
This video in my opinion is not just for the engraver. It could be very useful for the graphic artist as well as collectors. Can't wait for whats next.
Good job Sam

Latest posts

Sponsors