Andrew Update #3

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Just got another e-mail from Andrew so I thought I would post it to give another update.
Here it is...

Hi Rex

Well, it’s been nearly two weeks since the second big earthquake. Things are slowly starting to get better for some and not for others. The search and rescue phase is now over and moved into a recovery operation. The people that do this kind of grizzly work have my full admiration. It would have to be the most unpleasant experience you can ever imagine. Each day an updated list of the dead are announced in the newspaper and their stories. It is quite heartbreaking to read as these were people just going about their daily lives when mother nature struck her fatal blow.

We are still getting severe aftershocks which is a bit disconcerting. Sleep patterns are still all over the place and there is still a sense of shock. Many are realistic about what we have been through and many are not. The politicians are already beginning to squabble so that is probably a good sign that things are returning to normal. The rest of us are just faced with the reality of the fact that there will be a new definition of the word “normalâ€￾ in Christchurch city for many years to come.

Our power finally came on late yesterday afternoon which is great.. It is very unstable but over the next few weeks they will make the repairs more permanent. We can finally have a hot shower at home instead of feeling like refugees in our own city. We are lucky as there are still about 25,000 without power and water and living in terrible conditions. The local authorities are doing a wonderful job but are simply swamped as the work ahead of us is overwhelming. It is a strange feeling as the city is really cut in two. One side, including the central city, is totally devastated and the other side functioning as normal. It’s all very surreal. But as each week goes by it will get better and the authorities are gradually opening bridges and roads and basic infrastructure.

We still have to boil all drinking water and the phone lines are down with internet access still coming from our daughter on the other side of town every few days. So communication is very limited and quite hard. But that is only a mere inconvenience compared to some other poor souls. They are still finding pockets of people, mainly the elderly, that are too scared to leave their homes in the worse affected areas.

On a personal note I would like to say a very heartfelt thank you to everyone that has tried to phone us and left messages on our answering machine (I only managed to retrieve them yesterday) or e-mailed us with messages of support and offers of help. I simply can’t contact you all as it would take too long. It has been truly humbling and uplifting to both Mary and I that we have so many friends from all over the world. Your kindness and support will always be remembered with gratitude and a great deal of fondness.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Glade for the news on Andrew!! I am glade both he and daughter reside on the right side of the city. Hope his business fared well . I believe his daughter both work at it. Thanks for the update-Fred

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I saw a news article today saying that up to half of the city may have to be simply abandoned for at least several years. Apparently the earthquakes - especially this last big one - brought so much super-fine silt up (the liquefaction mentioned) that the soil in those areas is no longer suitable for building on.

Hora

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you Rex for the update. Good to hear that things get back on track slowly.

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Rex,

Thank you! This is an efficient way for us all to stay in touch with Andrew and Mary, much as we would all like to be emailing directly, phoning, etc., that would not be welcome when essential communication is what needs to get through.

Andrew and Mary, I know it will be 99 percent certain you must stay close to home, but if you reach the end of your tether, and when a legitimate break might be a consideration, I want you both to know my workshop house, where you have stayed before, is ready to welcome you in Mendocino, and with full engraving equipment ready for you to get working!

Meanwhile, you, and the people of Christchurch are in all our thoughts ....

Rod

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If it isn't one thing, it's another. I just saw this notice online at Google.

Tsunami Alert for New Zealand, the Philippines, Indonesia, Papua New Guinea, Hawaii, and others. Waves expected over the next few hours, caused by 8.9 earthquake in Japan.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yes Martin, this was a heavy earthquake. We saw the tsunami live on television, as it happened just when we woke up.
The whole area has an Tsunami alert for the next ours to come

arnaud

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
These weather tragedies are UNBELIEVABLE!! I've been battling floods since about 4 inches of rain in one day last week. I don't think i've seen it rain SO HARD for so long in my life! This latest storm is predicted to affect 100 million people in the USA.

Many people in the northeast are being rescued/evacuated and homes flooded and destroyed. Nothing compared to the earthquakes and tornadoes this storm spun off in the south, but disasters nonetheless.

Hope everyone recovers as soon as possible.

Last edited:

Mike Fennell

Elite Cafe Member
Our thanks go out to you, Andrew, for the update, and to you, Rex, for posting it for us.

Andrew and Mary, it is difficult for us to imagine what you are going through. We admire your cheer in the face of adversity. You remain in our hearts and our prayers. If there is anything we can do, or send, please let us know.

Mike and Kathy Fennell

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors