Help, please: Buckle Layout Help

Jane

Elite Cafe Member
Hi All,

This is a 12 gauge sterling silver buckle I am making as a custom order. The layout is up to me with approval of customer once I come up with something. I have attached the picture of the actual buckle with the sculpted mules. I have also attached a picture of a layout that I came up with a while back that I no longer like (I know the scroll shapes are crazy, its a quick sketch to get the idea of the original layout)
I am having a brain block on this buckle now. Its pretty much ready to be engraved if I could come up with a layout.
The style that I cut in is western bright cut, but want anyone's opinion who is willing to share layout ideas.
The thought of doing a little bit of hill country or mountain backgrounding behind the mules has been spoke of, but I am not quite sure how to accomplish that either.
My brain is on strike but I need to get to working on this and would love and appreciate some ideas here!
Oh and I have engraved the wriggle border on that actual buckle so the space seen is actual space to be worked with on the picture of the buckle.
Thanks in advance, looking forward to hearing some ideas on this....Please! :beat up:

Attachments

• IMAG1084.jpg
    IMAG1084.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 270
  • IMAG1085.jpg
    IMAG1085.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 225
  • IMAG1086.jpg
    IMAG1086.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:

Jane

Elite Cafe Member
I am sorry the last picture is turned, I am trying to fix this but having issues. It is saved on my computer horizontally, I have no idea why its vertical here...? URGH

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Here's a really quick rough sketch of the start of an idea.

I did this in Inkscape. Just the idea of making the 'ground' a scroll series. For the background I'm thinking (but can't quickly sketch on the computer) Western Brightcut with a flower 'sun' in the upper right.

Maybe a couple of glints of gold inlayed in somewhere.

Just something to get your own thoughts moving.

Attachments

• buckleidea1.jpg
    buckleidea1.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 169

Jane

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for responses! Thanks for picture Steve...I like that idea.
I also forgot to include the dimensions- its about 2 5/8" x 3 3/4"...
Hopefully I can draw some tonight. Sounds like my night just got busier, my husband slipped on the ice and hurt his back. I'll have to quit working early and take his dog to dog school for him. Not sure which will be more difficult...him with an injured back or this buckle layout....Eek. Haha

Jane

Elite Cafe Member
I had a few minutes to draw on the buckle tonight. Here is what I will probably do for the bottom portion of the buckle. The bottom right hand corner is open, but I will probably put another flower or something there.
I am still struggling with how to put a mini scene behind the mules. Should I do a similar scroll pattern across the top as what I did on the bottom?
Thanks!

Attachments

• IMAG1093.jpg
    IMAG1093.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 177

tundratrekers@mtaonline.n

Elite Cafe Member
To me it seems the lwer left 2 scrolls appear to come straight out of the flower,as opposed to a nice sweeping flow.But wait for more knowledgeable comments,from others.mike

Jane

Elite Cafe Member
Mike, I do need to fix them a bit so they are coming from the center of the flower. It's a bit off, your right.
Thanks!

Zhyyra

Elite Cafe Member
Jane, I see acanthus or some other sort of maybe more suitable sort of leaves growing on scrolled stems from the base and up the sides to the top corners and curl-hanging down a bit. Mules on rocky ground and mountains in the background. As though peering at the scene through shrubbery. That may be a paradigm shift at this stage but, you may want to consider it.
Zy

Jane

Elite Cafe Member
Hoot- Yes it will be bright cut....thats pretty much all I can half way do :)

Jane

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Dave, I will send you a picture of the final layout when I come up with it. I decided to go to my taxes today after leaking red stuff all over your silver this morning and early afternoon. :) whoops!

Jane

Elite Cafe Member
Ohhhh dangitt! I wish you would have explained this when I was at your place.....Hehehe.
I was trying to come up with a new silver...92.5 percent silver, the rest blood.....trying to make pinkish red silver for us poor folk that can't afford gold :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors