Scrimshaw: Toucans on a William Henry knife

KatherinePlumer

Elite Cafe Member
Hi everyone. Some of you saw parts of this in Reno, but I thought I'd post the finished piece. I'd like to say thank you to the William Henry company for the opportunity to do this work. I really commend them for reaching out to so many engravers and producing so many wonderfully unique knives! :tiphat:

It was the pattern of the engraving that influenced my design for the scrimshaw. The bolsters were already engraved, and I immediately thought "jungle" when I saw them. I was eager to put a colorful subject on there, and the shape of the gold inlay lent itself well to a tree branch composition.

Photo of completed knife courtesy of William Henry:

I was unable to photograph the completed knife because I never handled the whole knife, I just had parts, but this shows the scrim color a little more accurately:

I look forward to more. :banana: Thanks for looking!

-Katherine

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Katherine,
I'm sure the William Henry knife Company will be giving you more work after the beautiful scrimshaw you did of the toucans. Keep up the good work. J.J.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I was able to view this beautiful work for several minutes in Reno and the scrimshaw is simply wonderful. The colors are absolutely brilliant!
I promoted your post to the ARTICLES page as an article and also created a Scrimshaw category for future additions :)

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
This is a perfect example of using design elements from within the piece being worked on to create the additional embellishment. Normally it is the engraving that is drawing its design from the piece, in this case the engraving design lead to the scrimshaw. Superb Katherine!

KatherinePlumer

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you Hora, Fred, JJ, Sam A (and thank you for the promotion to the articles section, woo hoo!), Zhyyra, Cloudy, SamW, Brian, mrthe, Gary, Scott. I appreciate you taking the time to see what I've been up to. :)

-Katherine