Help, please: Looking for best place to buy engraving books

Crazy Horse

Elite Cafe Member
Roger, I want your latest book, but will see you at the NRA convention in Pittsburg. I assume you will have copies there. I'll also be bringing your first book for a signing.

MICHAEL

Elite Cafe Member
Roger, thanks for clearing that up. I checked my amazon reciept and I have Colt Engraving coming (would this be the same as volume 1?). Any idea on where to get volume 2? I didn't see a way to order from Mr. Wilsons web site. I'm not real good with computers, maybe I'm not seeing the buy button.
Love your book. When Jerry showed me the book we both thought it would be close to the $200.00 range judging by the quality. The pictures are just awesome!This is a steal ($75.00) for anyone who needs some motivation every now and then and for getting to know the top engravers better. People better get it now before it goes out of print and the price is $400.00 bucks! I didn't know we could get signed copies. I'll have to bring mine to the engrave-in. Hope to see you there.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Michael,

Colt Engraving was published more than 20 years ago. There is no volume 2 of it. The title of the book with two volumes is The Colt Engraving Book. It was published about five years ago. While there are more images in the two volume set, the book you bought has about 2/3 of what is in the two volume set. I think you will be very happy with it.

Crazy Horse,

I will be at the NRA and my publisher will have a booth there. I will not be at the booth all of the time but I will let the people at the booth know the times that I will be there to sign books.

Sandy

Elite Cafe Member
Roger,
Were all the Colt Engraving books done by R.L. Wilson.
Sandy

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mike,
I seem to be getting the feeling of deja vu with this posting.

Anyway, a book to consider is Winchester Repeating Arms Company by Herbert Houze. It's in two parts: the first dealing with history of the company and the second dealing with deconrations and embellishments 1865-1981. It features examples, drawings, and pulls of all Winchester engravers during the period from Nimschke, the Ulrichs, Kornbrath, etc..

I have the softbound copy and pictures are in B&W. There is a hardbound version, but I don't know if the pics in it are color or not. Anyway, it's less than 30 bucks and has a lot of good info.

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?an=houze,+herbert&sts=t&tn=winchester&x=42&y=17

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Roger,
Were all the Colt Engraving books done by R.L. Wilson.
Sandy

The four books I mentioned above are all by RLW. He also wrote several other Colt books that are not dedicated to engraving but have many pictures of engraved Colts in them. He also wrote the long out of print The Book of Winchester Engraving and Winchester Engraving which is also out of print but not as old.

Roger

MICHAEL

Elite Cafe Member
Has anyone ordered books from Leroy Merz? I contacted hin through Gunsinternational.com and he has original copies of the Winchester engraving book for $175.00.
Here is what he said when I asked him how I go about purchasing this book.

Hello Michael, all you have to do is say you want it. I then put a
hold on a copy awaiting payment.. Payment can be a cashiers check,
money order or personal check. Personal checks we hold 10 days from
deposit. Cost is $175. + 20. S&H. Total $195. Please advise..
Thank you.. AL @ Merz Ant.

I'm used to using paypal or credit card through an established company such as ebay, etc... Anyone ever ordered from this guy and did it go allright?

John Cleston

I have a brand new Winchester Engraving that you can have $110.00 and $10.00 shipping. A few of the photos are a little dark other wise book is worth the expense. I bought this new in the srinkwrap copy after reading my other copy twice.

I don't really sell my reference library, but Winchesters are my favorte and the book is a duplicate purchased at a gun show just after the announcement to close the New Haven CT factory was made.

John..