+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Looking for best place to buy engraving books

I have been thinking of purchasing the Winchester book of engraving and the Colt engraving book. The best price for an excellent condition book that I can find are on R.L. Wilson's web site. $175 for the Winchester book and $390 for the 2 volume Colt engraving book, and if I want to add the book on fine Colt's add another $100 dollar bill.
    Those of you who have these books, are they worth that much money? Is there a less expensive place to buy them? I found a reprint of the Nimsckhe book for $90.00 new but haven't had any luck locating these other books at less cost. Any help will be appreciated.
    "Art reveals the artist's inner self. Art reveals a man's ideals, what he values".

Post Thanks / Like

I am not totally sure but I think the 2 Volume Colt engraving books and the Winchester book are out of print. A friend of mine just bought the Winchester book last week. It was from a web site he found on the web. I think you will be surprised by the cost of the Colt books.

Check out this web site. They have the Winchester book for $165. www.trackofthewolf.com/?p=BOOK-WE - Cached
    Last edited by Sandy; 02-23-2011 at 01:45 AM. Reason: add web site

Post Thanks / Like

Michael,
    Go to abe.com and search for them by author. I recently got a new copy of the Winchester book for $25.

Post Thanks / Like

Winchester book of engraving and the Colt engraving book. I have searched and Sandy has found the least expensive price ($165.00) on the Winchester book for me. Tried Abe.com DKanger and cheapest was $180 used (thx for trying).
    These are the books I have.
    Nimschke Firearms Enragaver
    Colt an American Legend
    Colt Single Action from Patersons to Peacemakers
    Steel Canvas
    Winchester
    The Peacemakers
    Guns of the American West
    Buffalo Bill's Wild west

Now, the question I have is, Do the two books I'm to spend a small fortune on have enough pictures of firearms to warrent spending that much money on them? As compared to the books I already have. I am really interested in engraving guns in the style of the last half of the 1800's. If these books are must haves then I'll get them. I just hope someone can point me in the right direction for a better deal. I have been searching the web for months off and on and haven't seen what I call a good deal yet. Thanks in advance for any help.
    P.S. Where's our smily faces, thumbs up, and beer chug thingy's?
    "Art reveals the artist's inner self. Art reveals a man's ideals, what he values".

in the land of Scrolls, somewhere between Lindsay, GRS and Ngraver
    Post Thanks / Like

For your stated purpose, the Colt books is probably worth investing in for the various SAA patterns, factory or not. The Winchester Engraving book, probably not IMO if you have Nimschke, you should be set.
    Scott Pilkington
    http://learn2engrave.com/scottshistory.shtml
    A gun and a parachute have a common dynamic. When you need one nothing else will really suffice.

Post Thanks / Like

You might consider Roger Bleile's new book American Engravers of the 21st Century. It has great photos for study. It is $75.

Post Thanks / Like

Michael are you going to make it to Scott's engrave-in this year. You were asking me alot of questions last year and you seemed like a very honest guy. If you are going this year I can send you my copy of colt engraving vol 1. I will pick it up at Scotts. If I do let you barrow the book just remember I am like most of the other guys on here there books are like there family.

Post Thanks / Like

Scott, thx, can't wait for the engrave-in. Do you have the date set? I have to request off 1 month in advance.

Sandy, Jerry Harper let me see his copy that Jim Alaimo sent him and I ordered it the same day. It blew me away! I was surprised this book wasn't over $200.00 bucks. Unbelievable picture quality. Marty Rabeno's guns really caught my eye. Checking the mail daily before my dogs get it thinking it's a new toy (they chewed up a package before that had $200.00 worth of 1857 Remington parts and Dixie gun works replaced it when I went to reorder. Great company!).

cwbyengraver, Thanks for the offer and the compliment. I really need to buy this book on scott's recomendation alone. I appreciate the offer alot! I'm trying to remember you. Did you have the pistol with manatee grips? I plan on being at the engrave-in again with my questions and trying to get Jerry to go also.

If anyone finds a better price on the Colt books, please let me know. I hate to drop $300 -$400 but may have to. Thanks again for all the replies.

Post Thanks / Like

Michael,

The two volume set of Colt Engraving by RLW pretty much has images of all the engraved Colts that are in his other books. If you can get that set anywhere near the original $400. price, it is well worth it as I have seen it for sale much higher now that it is out of print. If you have that set there will be no need to buy a bunch of other Colt books for engraving images.

Regards,

Roger
    C. Roger Bleile
    Author of American Engravers and American Engravers-The 21st Century
    http://www.engravingglossary.com/
    FEGA Historian
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Without craftsmanship, inspiration is a mere reed shaken in the wind. Johannes Brahms

Post Thanks / Like

Marty Rabeno's guns really caught my eye.

Micheal
    Thank you very much for the compliment.

There are many great guns by all the engravers pictured in Rogers new book. It's a fantasic reference book for the money.

Marty
    AKA Fancygun