Critique Request 2nd practice plate with Air Tact

Bama

Elite Cafe Member
OK guys this is a stardard scroll design and I think I cut it much better.

I am feeling more comfortable with the Air Tact on this second plate and I think my control improved a good bit from the first plate.

I know the shading still sucks but I am working on it.

Background removal was a lot better on this plate also.

I feel much better about this plate.:beerchug:

Attachments

• 2nd practice plate with air tact.jpg
    2nd practice plate with air tact.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 156

Zhyyra

Elite Cafe Member
It's definitely an improvement in my beady eye. The main scroll has improved proportion, none of your leaves dies under a scroll eye, and the shading has improved a lot.
IMHO running a leaf or scroll off-shoot under a scroll eye can be done effectively (even beautifully) if it flows through the eye and re-appears on the other side. But when it dies under the eye center it takes from the pleasant flow of the art as a whole.

Not that I could even produce an equivalent of your 1st practice plate by mere hand-eye co-ordination and without my ever-dependence on artificial intelligence.

Last edited:

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Jim,

overall it looks real good. I would encourage you though to always draw your scrolls into borders. Its easy to draw scrolls that float in nothingness. Like castles in the air, they might be pretty but are not very practical. aside from that, your shading looks pretty consistent, although for the size of the scroll you did this as, it could be finer. The scroll coming off the main scroll at about 10 O clock bears mentioning, I don't really like the shading there. It looks like an ushaved beard to me. (I know funny phrase, it just popped into my head) . I would make it flow along the back bone better of the 10 Oclock scroll, and it should flow at a smoother angle into the main body scrolll it orginates from

HTH
Scott

Sponsors