Fantastic Compressor

PAUL LANTUCH

Elite Cafe Member
Fantastic indeed, but how "ultra silent" is it in reality? May be it is silent in comparison to the rest in this catalogue, the same kind I have in my basement, which is roaring, like a monster.

Mike Frakes

I actually own one of the twin tank all aluminum modles and it is very quiet. Not however as quiet as the Silair compressors but is higher volume and is oil less. The reason I bought the GMC compressor is because my Silair contaminated my GraverMax system and I had to have GRS rebuild the entire unit. At that point I purchased the extra oil seperating filters from GRS but after I got to thinking about it I figured it was worth it just to purchase the oil less compressor and be done with the mess.

Like I say this GMC compressor is very quiet for an oil less compressor but nothing nearly as quiet as the Silair compressors are. I put my compressor in the garage and ran a long 1/4" plastic line through the wall to my engraving bench.

I have been using my GMC compressor for about six months and have had no problems so far, and I would recommend the compressor in the place of the Silair for several reasons: it is oil less so you don't have to deal with extra filters and the mess and expense of oil changes, it's reasonably quiet -- probably the quietest oil less compressor on the market, and it costs less than one fifth of the price of the Silair compressor.

Mike Frakes

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
5mi from the nearest Dunkin Donuts in Tennessee
Not that fantastic if you're not going to put the compressor under your bench.

For a few bucks more and a a little more than a few decibels more, this 26 gallon upright Craftsman is far a better deal for oil-less compressors. Large capacity and upright means the hose is at the top and farther away from the moisture & crap that collects at the bottom. The closer the outlet/hose is to where the moisture and debris collect in the tank, the more often you will need to clean your handpieces and equipment. Isaac Newton was the first to figure this one out although he didn't have a compressor. :big grin:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...003a&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=00916770000P#desc

p.s. .... I not only recommend this (however not that quiet) .... I actually own it.

Last edited:

Christian DeCamillis

Elite Cafe Member
The Idea behind getting one of these kind of compressors is so you can have it in the same room. Not everyone is in a situation where they can have the noise factor. To spend a thousand dollars or more and have to put up with the oil contamination the smell of the oil because those silent ones get so hot. Then you need a fan on it always. i had one and recently disconnected it and went back to sears upright compressor that a friend gave me. In my situation I could run a compressor as large and noisy as I want.

The decibels of the GMC is rated at 60 a silent air is rated at 40 the craftsman are rated at more than 80. I attached a chart showing what all that means.

Mike, I think you made a good choice not going back to the silair for the reasons you stated. would you say that the GMC that you have doesn't scare the heck out of you when it comes on ? Also can you have a conversation when it's on without screaming? I'm asking so that people can be informed by someone who is using one.

Chris the reason that people like myself post this kind of information is to help others. That's suppose to be the spirit of the forum. So your negativity is confusing to me. As I was told many times It's not what we say but how we say it.

Chris

Attachments

• noise.PNG
    noise.PNG
    165.2 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Negativity? My point was quite clear .... if one is not going to have the compressor in the same room (or under the bench) then the price of the compressor you posted in relation to its' capacity is not a fantastic deal. In an apartment environment, 60db is unacceptable. Simply because I am not completely agreeing with you does not make my post negative in any way. If that were so, I would not have posted any helpful information let alone a link to a high capacity OIL-LESS unit which can run in an adjacent room or garage. I suggest you re-read my post and reevaluate your comment regarding "negativity".

Your recommendations on a public forum are NOT the end all-be all especially when individuals are reading these forums and are attempting to make the BEST possible decisions for their business and financial situations. Absolutely help others but discouraging options is just as much against "the spirit of the forum".

Thank you for posting the chart. Factual references are always appreciated.

Last edited:

Christian DeCamillis

Elite Cafe Member
My point exactly. The reason for posting a compressor that's quiet is so people can realize that there is at least one alternative for quiet compressor at an affordable price. I never insinuated that this was a lot of compressor for the money . Your recommendation for a higher capacity compressor has nothing to do with what this post was about. I also use a sears compressor and have for years except for the short period when i recently tried a silair and i have already explained how that went.

As far as 60 decibels not being acceptable for an apartment . according to the chart that i attached it would be far quieter than someone playing a stereo. Normal conversation levels seem like they would be acceptable in an apartment.

As far as rereading your post it's not necessary I read it correctly the first time. Your response had no relativity to what my post was about. I don't for a minute believe that what i post is the answer to all. As I already stated it is to pass on information so that people can make decisions with as much information possible. this post is about quiet compressors not compressors in general.

This is the end of my responses to you personally I am not going to continue because you decide to be contrary which seems to be what you enjoy.

Chris

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
So borderline moderate/loud is acceptable for an apartment? It's not a vacuum which neighbors "expect" to hear.

And yes, my post, has a bit more to do with someone else in this thread choosing to run this compressor outside of the same room.

My experience with a 60db compressor in an apartment when I used to live in Boston was not necessarily the ambient noise but the vibration (created by the reciprocating pump) on the floor combined with the fact that GRS equipment uses more air making the stupid thing kick on every 15 minutes. Heck, for $99 bucks you can get a portable compressor at Home Depot that runs at 69db.

Dude .... you kill me. My humble apologies ...

Last edited:

Andrew Biggs

Personally I don't see Chris Malouf' comments as being negative or against the spirit of the forum. He was merely adding his opinion and personal experience and making members aware of alternatives.

I really can't think of a thread that has ever stayed completely on the subject and most end up going on all sorts of tangents similar to a real life conversation. If you choose not to engage with another member of the forum then that is your personal choice but please don't make an issue of it. It doesn't make for good reading.

The thing that strikes me about compressors is that everyone's needs are different. Some people are noise sensitive and others can listen to static all day. Family and neighbors come into the equation and your own personal sanity. And of course there is always the dreaded budget.

Exploring all the options is always a good idea. Making the correct choice first time around is always a little more difficult.

The chart is certainly interesting...........it's a real shame I didn't know that as a teenager because I would have worn earplugs to rock concerts............well, maybe :)

Cheers
Andrew

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
Keep the thing switched off.
26 gallon tank must probably last most of the week?

How long does it take to charge up? 5mins?

I`m sure a few minutes noise once in a while is acceptable anywhere providing you decide when it comes on and it fits in with the neighbours being out or whatever...

My compressor is 97db :big grin:

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
And, when is the last time we've seen someone poking at another person on here?

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
I have a GMC compressor and like it, but found that it is to loud to have in the same room like I did my sil-air(this is judged upon my noise toleration, yours may vary). However I like the the higher air output and non oil contamination, so I put the compressor outside of the studio and plumbed air in. Now I can hardly hear it, so that is nice. I have run the compressor for about 5 months and it has held up well. Brian

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have a 16 gallon Craftsman upright in the shop. It is very noisy but I operate it like Gemsetterchris does. Once or twice a week I put on my hearing protectors and fill it up then I turn it off so that it doesn't cycle unexpectedly. When full the tank is at 125 pounds and I refill it at about 75 or 80 pounds. My lindsay PC uses very little air. I don't know if this method is practical with the GRS tools.

RB

Yves Halliburton

Elite Cafe Member
Another thought

Different tools require more or less air (CFM). Also, air compressors are usually tuned to power on when the pressure gets just below 100 PSI. This is typical for industrial air tools. I have a 2.5 gallon compressor (Makita) and reset the regulator to turn on at 60 PSI. This is just above my typical operating PSI I use. I can go quite some time before the power goes back on. Another suggestion is to put a manual switch by your bench (like a light switch) power up the compressor until it shuts off then use the switch to cut the power. Turn it back on when it reaches the PSI you run on. When doing fine shading 30-40 PSI it will take quite a while for the PSI to go down. If your standard PSI for Your tool is 60 PSI, there is no reason for the compressor to restart when it hits 100 PSI. Just some ideas to minimize the amount of time the compressor runs.:tiphat:

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
I have a 16 gallon Craftsman upright in the shop. It is very noisy but I operate it like Gemsetterchris does. Once or twice a week I put on my hearing protectors and fill it up then I turn it off so that it doesn't cycle unexpectedly. My lindsay PC uses very little air.
RB

I just take the dog out while it refills.
Only using 15-20psi anyway & i always use the switch on the regulator.. not leaving the pc humming away on standby all day.

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
A shorter stroke pump will also be quieter but will run longer to fill up.

I honestly don't believe that a pancake compressor for $235 bucks is that great of a deal .... if it were a little quieter or at least had a larger tank then absolutely. Most would be disappointed in the price/capacity/noise ratio when either trying to run this in the same room or outside. It's really border-line for an apartment or condo and would kick on every 15 minutes or so depending on what tools you were using.

--------------------

I notice I am being accused of not providing ANY helpful information.

Aside from coming over and installing a compressor, cleaning your house, washing your car and taking you out to dinner ........

I wanted to post this last night:

If anyone has a screw-on air-intake/muffler for their compressor .... ie: such as the Craftsman has .... the muffler can be swapped out with an aftermarket "quiet" muffler to reduce the noise ... the cheaper ones will reduce about 5db and the pricier ones will do more.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/ww...search&Ntt=compressor+silencer&N=0&sst=subset

Take care guys .... from now on I will keep my keyboard quiet while your your bank accounts drain LOL!! :big grin: I really never expected this to blow up with e-mails flying ... I have only ever disagreed with Mr. C. twice on this forum about tools ... the 1st was turntables.

Chris

P.S. If I am being bashed in any other forums (which I have heard happens when someone disagrees), I would appreciate it very much if someone would cut and paste those posts and forward them to me. Thank-you in advance.

Last edited:

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yves made an excellent point- if your particular application only requires say, 30 psi, the "kick on" pressure of most compressors can be easily adjusted to a lower setting. it's usually a simple matter of turning a screw on the switch mechanism. a little trial & error to determine which screw needs turned which direction and you're in business. with some compressors, there is a diagram inside the switch cover that explains what does what. i have an older Jun-Air that has an unusual switch configuration and their North American distributor was quite helpful when I asked how to reset the on-off pressures. I emailed them a photo and they got right back to me.

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
26 gallon tank must probably last most of the week?
I have a 5hp Ingersol with an 80 gallon tank. When using it with my GMax, it will kick on about every 5 minutes and run for 5 minutes before it cuts off, so they really suck up the air. Either that or I have a helluva leak in my foot pedal and need one of Mitch's little gizmos. I installed a ball valve in the outlet line of the compressor. I just let it build up and then close the ball valve.

Latest posts

Sponsors