Question: Draw Plate

txtwang

Elite Cafe Member
Thinking of buying a draw plate. I see some that are made of steel and some are steel with tungsten carbide inserts.
Sellers say the steel ones wear out quickly.
I don't draw that much wire but just curious as to what those who use them have to say...
Thanks
Jerry

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thinking of buying a draw plate. I see some that are made of steel and some are steel with tungsten carbide inserts.
Sellers say the steel ones wear out quickly.
I don't draw that much wire but just curious as to what those who use them have to say...
Thanks
Jerry

get the carbide, the gold won't stick to it.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
things may have changed in 28 yrs, but i tried the steel ones first. they were absolute junk- rough, lousy sizing, poorly graduated between sizes, etc. i returned them and traded up to carbide. they're perfect in all ways a drawplate should be. i've never regretted the extra $.

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Carbide..
I was advised 25 years to go that way and now the cost of the draw plate is moot. Anyone I know that has a steel one complains.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I got the Italian ones what we call Widia ones. Widia is Tungsten Carbide.

I use them also to draw Ti wire from Ti sheets

arnaud

Last edited:

canadian

Elite Cafe Member
Gentlemen,
With all due respect to all of your experience, I have been using steel plates now for over 35 years and I love them.
Of course, it has to do a lot with the origin and the make of the plates. Mine are mostly American and French made. I did try a Tungsten once and I found it hard to thread through, but it may have just been me.
The ones made in West Germany or Swiss are very good as well.
I would advise to stay away from any made in Pakistan or India.
Just my 2 cents.
Best,
Boris

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Along the lines of what Boris has said, I was told there can be a HUGE difference among various carbide draw plates, and the price reflects that.

I was also considering buying a carbide lined one. Seems like MOST things, the ones made in USA, Germany, etc., are VASTLY different than the Chinese made ones.

I do not know from experience, but was advised to be wary of those made in China.

Any opinions regarding a good source/price for a quality carbide lined draw plate? Thanks.

allen

I have used both steel and carbide draw plates over the years and like them both. For me, the carbide does pull a bit easier and smoother.

You have to pull a lot of silver/gold wire to wear out a good hardened steel draw plate.

If you don't have a draw bench I would use choose carbide.

With either, remember to lube the wire before pulling the draw.

One note of caution with the carbide, do not over-pull your wire. That is, don't go to far between annealing or you may pull a carbide insert right out of the holding plate by using to much force. Had a buddy do that recently at work. The whole insert came along with the wire. He should have annealed sooner.

Happy Pulling!
Allen

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The ones made in West Germany or Swiss are very good as well.
I would advise to stay away from any made in Pakistan or India.
Just my 2 cents.
Best,
Boris

I totally agree, got both the Swiss ones and the Pakistan.
Just wanted to tell the carbide ones also work on Titanium, the Swiss don't.

arnaud

PAUL LANTUCH

Elite Cafe Member
Also, in carbide, take one with more holes in plate for smooze transaction from one diameter to another. It is quite important when the wire getting 0,35mm and tinnier .

James Roettger

Elite Cafe Member
I have both and prefer the carbide. The carbide are a bit harder to thread though. The carbide also produce a better finish on the wire. My steel plate served me well and was a high quality plate. The cost of carbide is only a bit more money than a quality steel plate so as to make carbide the better value and choice.

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I've been using the same steel plate that my grandfather and father used for the last 75 years. I believe its French. No complaints with it.

txtwang

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for all the suggestions. Very informative. Most of the wire I'll be using is silver. I won't be drawing a lot of wire but think it would come in handy.
When I think quality tools, China is not the first word that comes to mind.
Thanks to all.
Jerry

Latest posts

Sponsors