Steak knives

joseph engraver

Elite Cafe Member
Is there a protocol for engraving a knife, scene on one side, and scroll on the obverse?
I have been searching for a decently made stainless knife to engrave. One that would not cost too much, is kind to my chisel point and available locally.
Last night we went to a nice restaurant to celebrate the successful book signing of Franca’s recently published cook book.
When I saw the steak knife, I realized that I had found the right knife to engrave. It is good quality; it has balance, and a nice shape that will add to any engraving. I asked the owner, who is an admirer of my wife’s cooking about the knife and he gave me two of these beauties; I am open to suggestion for an inspirational subject to decorate this beauty. I made a test cut today and it will cut beautifully.

Attachments

• steak knife.jpg
    steak knife.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 146

Denny

Elite Cafe Member
Joseph - I do not know anything about protocol, but I would suggest a small scene and scroll on each side. Maybe surf on one side and turf on the other.

joseph engraver

Elite Cafe Member
Denny
Surf and turf maybe a good theme, but it needs to be expanded on. Steak to my mind equals beef, when I think of beef I visualize a bull. When I think about the shape of the knife I see a stiletto, the stiletto brings up the image of a Spaniard, the bull and a Spaniard brings me the idea of scenes from a bull fight, bringing to mind Mr. Hemingway.
I now have three images to work with, now I must combine them on the handles surface. There is a perfect space for a portrait on the end of the handle, leaving me plenty of room to draw the bull, most likely in a slightly turned position and perhaps framed in a brick arch. This leaves me more than enough space on the obverse side for the Matador. Question is how to depict him, who triumphs man or beast? Thanks for the suggestion.
Scott, I know that Franca is charming, but I am doing this project on speculation that I can find a buyer in the future.
I think, Death in the Afternoon has a better chance of finding a knife collector than, “A Tribute to a Wonderful Cook.â€￾
There, I answered my question; I got to kill the Matador, now it is time for research, I think I am going to enjoy this work.
I am planning to show up at your shindig this summer.

Latest posts

Sponsors