Question: Ball vise project.

Zhyyra

Elite Cafe Member
Hi everyone,

I'm no great hand engraver (yet) :rolleyes: although I have a deep appreciation for the art-form. So, I've decided to make a ball vise as time permits and between other jobs in my workshop.
Now, I've never even seen a ball vise let alone used one. However I gathered what information I could from pictures on the net and put together the attached drawing.

I would like the holes on the jaws to be compatible with the GRS or some other popular holding devises that are on the market so that apart from the few basic ones that I will make for it, others may be purchased from another source.

I have it in mind to make the hemisphere, T-slotted plate and jaws from mild steel (as opposed to stainless) and then have them hard-nickel plated to avert rust and wear. This is mainly to save on manufacturing costs.

As you will note I am in need of dimensions X,Y,Z and W and Diameters A and B.
If anyone can help me I would greatly appreciate it.

I'll post pictures as the project progresses.

Attachments

• ball-vice-1.JPG
    ball-vice-1.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 184

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Zhyyra,
I will be happy to help with the measurements if nobody else jumps in.
I feel that there are many forum members who can do a better job than me as many of them have a machine background.
Will keep an eye on this thread to make sure you get the information.
Best.

Zhyyra

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks very much John B.
The pin hole diameters are probably a standard inch size 3/16 or 7/32 for the small ones and about 5/16 for the bigger ones. They are probably a neat slide-fit with the pins. I just need the nominal sizes to ensure compatibility with inch/imperial accessories. The distances between the pins is probably also some nominal inch-size.

Gotta run home now, It's 8:30 pm in SA. Will check back for answers tomorrow morning.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Zhyyra,
The small pins seem to be .249 inches to fit a .250 hole.
The large pins are a.374 diameter to slide fit a .375 inch hole.
The bigger holes are 1.295 deep the best I can measure.
My depth gauge is too big to enter the small holes.
But a scribe line on a piece of drill rod appears to be .975-.976.
Small holes are 1.75 inches on center and .375 set back from the face of the jaw.
The large hole is in center between the small holes and is .750 back from the face.
This is about the best I can do with the tools at hand and hope someone else will check what I have posted.
It might pay to order the separate small top jaws with all the small pin holes from GRS.
I can’t find the number in the catalog but I expect they are available.
All the measurements can be verified from them before you start the main jaws.
Just a thought.
Best.

Zhyyra

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks John B.
That info helps me a great deal.
I'll just make the hole depths about a millimeter deeper than your sizes as I don't think the depth on these is critical as long as the top jaws sit on the top face of the bottom ones.

I think I'll order materials. Does anyone disagree with the nickel plating idea?

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
I made my own ball vise. It is heavier than the GRS vise, but comes in handy when doing a barreled action project. I did not plate my ball vise. You would have to live to be 200 years old to put any wear on the ball. No rust problems at all on my vise. John's recommendation on purchasing the top hardware from GRS is very wise before you drill your holes in your jaws.
Just my 2 cents worth.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Thank you Zhyyra,

Please take Glenn's advise to heart. He has much experience in many forms of construction. You are correct about the top jaws just sitting down on the main jaws.
However the pin depth is quite important and you might want to buy a set because the milled flats are at the correct depth to hold a practice plate when the pins are bottomed out.
I realize it is no problem for you to mill flats and make your own pins but it might be nice to have them the same as the widely used GRS standard. Just a thought.
Best regards.

Zhyyra

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Glenn and John B.
I'll do my best to comply with your advice. I'll have to see what a set of top jaws will cost me first. Maybe I can find a second hand pair on ebay.
I intend selling the ball vise once complete so I think I'll go ahead with the nickel plating for the benefit of the buyer.
I'm expecting materials to arrive on Monday. Will keep you posted.
Zy.

Zhyyra

Elite Cafe Member
Well, from their website it seems as though the GRS top jaws are not available separately. And none are available on ebay at the moment either.
I could do without the lighter pocket too. So! could anyone please help me out with dimensions A,B,C,D and E in the attached drawing. My humble gratitude in advance.
Zy.

Attachments

• top-jaws-IGF.JPG
    top-jaws-IGF.JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 69

Rollieshobos

Taken from an old 4.5 inch vise as follows a&b fit all three vise's I Have
a: .35
b:.35
c:.5
d:1.0
e:2.0

two other vises are smaller and had different dimensions

I hope this helps

Rollie

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Zhyyra.

The main jaws on the GRS Low Profile, Magnablock and Positioning Vise all appear to have the same dimensions.
They are 3.0 (76mm) wide, 1.8 (46mm) deep and open 3.5
(89mm) wide.

My vises and top jaws have these dimensions.

A. .875 inches
B. .925
C. .629
D. 1.128
E. 2.70

Hope this helps you.
Best regards.

Zhyyra

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks very much John B, that really does help a lot.
I have enough information to start building now and I'm hoping materials for the hemisphere are delivered early next week.

Rollie I don't think you are aware but, I am building this ball vise with GRS accessories compatibility. Nonetheless thanks for your efforts.

Zy.

Sponsors