GRS 901 handpiece mods

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I've been testing a GRS 901 handpiece with custom mods by DJ Glaser. This is the greatest handpiece I've ever used or owned. DJ's tweaks have made significant improvements to a handpiece I didn't think could be made any better. I'm now using this one handpiece for everything, including the finest shading to hogging out backgrounds in relief engraving.

The good news is that you can perform these mods yourself with a written description of how they're done. I believe it's being prepared now.

I'll have this handpiece in Reno, so please stop by and give it a test drive :)

~Sam

Harpuahound

Elite Cafe Member
Excellent news. I like my monarch but was wanting to buy the magnum for the heavier cutting. Might try this instead! Its a cheaper handpiece even.

jlseymour

Elite Cafe Member
Sam I'm sure you have some input and thats what it takes for better tools...
Thanks, Jerry
Best to you and Abigail...
Jerry and Joan

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I whole heartedly agree with Sam's comments! D.J. sent me the same handpiece modification a couple of weeks ago and it is fantastic. I was using my Monarch for more and more things, only using the 901 when I needed to cut deep or remove backgrounds. The new 901 (Actually I don't know if all the newly made 901's will have this modification) that was sent to me feels wonderful in the hand. It' a bit shorter and the knob is almost the size of a Monarch. The cutting range is remarkable. Mine is hooked-up to my Gravermach AT. I'm glad to see this being offered to everyone. Believe me, you won't be disappointed.

Sam

Staff member
Here's the info on the 901 mods from DJ Glaser:

What the handpiece is: For the most part, this 901 can be built by anyone using standard parts. The main components are:

shortened 901 barrel (044-142 on catalog page 4)
V3 piston (004-406-V3 which is standard in all 901’s since early 2010)
short spring (004-430 which has been included with all 901 handpieces for the past 9 years although the long spring is installed in the handpiece during assembly)
smaller profile AT stainless knob which has been standard for nearly 2 years (the diameter of this knob is approx. 1.18” instead of the original 1.31”).
new “E” type rubber palm element pads (Sam likes the #6, but #8 is general purpose)

There are some minor “tweaks” in addition to the above that make a slight difference, but the main issues are listed above. I will have a tutorial in the near future showing these “tweaks” which are something anyone can do at their bench.

Sam

Staff member
Someone else asked that and to be honest I don't know since I only use the pedal for stippling or sculpting. I would assume most of the improvements are on the Airtact side, but foot pedal users might prefer the shorter length as well. As for me, my handpiece is now a 901 and a Monarch in the same package.

It should be noted that western brightcutters, stonesetters, and those who are using the upper end of the power band might not notice the difference. The tweaks really enhance the low end for detail, fine shading, etc.

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam, Does the 901 with the tweaks replace the monarch in your arsenal? Does it have the same power or is it reduced on the power end?

Sam

Staff member
At this point I can say it's replaced my Monarch as I haven't used it (the Monarch) since I've been using the 901 w/mods. So I have the power of my regular 901 w/light spring (my normal configuration) with the enhanced low end performance of the Monarch and I haven't noticed a reduction in power. What I like about the GraverMach AT is power is that more/less power can be turned up or down with a knob.

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
5mi from the nearest Dunkin Donuts in Tennessee
Hi Sam ... I regret not having tried this when I stopped by to see you at the show.

When I had all those piston problems, which has been completely cleared up by using a better source of compressed air, the V3 was mentioned with respect to the Magnum. I have one of those now as they were introduced for the Magnum earlier than for the 901. It was also mentioned that the new piston was a little lighter.

Is the new piston for the 901 lighter than the original as well? It makes sense that a shorter stroke combined with a lighter piston and spring would provide a great deal more control and finesse at the lower end at the expense of power at the top end ... It's really a shift in the power curve. I would say that this is a great benefit for anyone running a unit with two hand-piece ports as then only the 901 and Magnum could remain in place at all times. This is the setup I run on my GraverMax.

My final question is: Have you tried this configuration with the heavier spring and will there be a heavier piston introduced? There's a lot of flexibility in personalization to be had by being able to combine heavier components or a mix into a shorter barrel.

Last edited:

Sam

Staff member
You'll need to contact GRS. I have no information on the tutorial they said would be coming. Sorry!

Latest posts

Sponsors