Carving love tokens...

AndrosCreations

Elite Cafe Member
You've probably all heard of 'love tokens' but they're something new to me since I've only been engraving since August. I learned about them through my hobo nickel ventures.

I carve and sell quite a few nickels online now and I thought I'd try my hand at the love tokens too. There certainly isn't big money in it but you can still get paid 'something' to practice.

The first brass item may not technically be a love token by the strictest definition... but it was still good practice. There is a terribly obvious large leaf/tendril that is an eye sore. Live and learn... Both scrolls were cut without drawing them in or transferring (it's called improvisation in music [?])

For the first time (besides one awful practice plate) I've engraved scroll and done background removal (picture #2) and even though the design isn't great, it was thrilling to be able to accomplish something with the help and information of all my engraving friends online. I welcome any critique.

Attachments

• Love Token 4 e.jpg
    Love Token 4 e.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 176
  • Love Token 5 e.jpg
    Love Token 5 e.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 189

Neo Dutch

Elite Cafe Member
I like them both, however I do like running wheat to be sharper and a little tighter.

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Andros, only been engraving since August? WOW! These are very good considering you've only been engraving for 6 months. Okay, they are not without fault but you've got a good foundation to build upon.

My main criticism is your shading. On your first example, if you're not cutting away the background your shading needs to be very strong in order to punch it out from the background and define your shapes. Look at Sam's scrolls and this will show you what you need to aim for if you are going to cut this type of thing. His shading is second to none and really defines his scrolls fabulously.

The second thing that needs work is on your second example where you have cut away the background. I could be wrong but it looks like you've gone at it with a rotary tool. The background is lumpy and bumpy. This needs to be smooth. And no, there is no excuse that it's a "hobo nickel"; when it comes to scrollwork the background must be smooth. It can either be cut away with a single point (all in the same direction), with a liner, or relieved and stippled. Remember though that stippling will not cover a bumpy background.

All in all though, a great effort. Well done!

AndrosCreations

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you both for your comments! They're much appreciated!...

Neo Dutch... thanks so much... Could you give me a few pointers on how I can improve my running leaf? What would you do differently? Thanks.

Marcus... Thank you! My shading definately needs improvement. I'm trying hard to study the work of all you masters in order to gain ideas and concepts on how to improve it. The background was relieved with a square graver, and then a flat graver... I didn't do a very good job on it... and it being a tad 'shiny' helps reveal its inconsistency. I must try to do better next time... Thanks so much for the advice!

Cheers!

Latest posts

Sponsors