Slit Lamp Microscopes?

HTandB

Howdy!

Does anyone have any experience using slip lamp (ophthalmology) microscopes for engraving?

I found a gentleman locally who has 4 American Optical Campbell scopes - 15x inclined eyepieces, sliding base, adj power; and he's looking for $400 apiece for them.

I know this is a vague question but I'm going over to look at one this evening and I hate walking in blind (no pun intended)... any knowledge would be appreciated -

Cheers!

Ryan

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If they're like the one I was watching the ever-indulgent wife's eye doctor use on Monday then there will be an orientation problem - they're made for looking straight ahead rather than down.

Seem to have a reasonable working distance though.

Hopefully someone more knowledgable will chime in on this.

DakotaDocMartin

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Here's a photo of a slit lamp scope in use. The patient would have their forehead up against that rack straight across from the doc/tech. I don't see any way that could be used for engraving.

HTandB

Thanks for the input - He says he has 1 currently rigged for engraving, if it's a good set-up I'll try and take a picture and post... I'm more than a little curious myself.

HTandB

Just so... the scope was turned vertical, and rotated. It was nice, great clarity, good working distance and a really good depth of field (with a coin on the table I could put my thumb on top of the coin and both it and the coin were in focus), he had removed the chin rest and the focus is controlled with the joystick on the back plate. I attached a picture of the setup -

Cheers!
Ryan

Attachments

• IMAG0103 [].jpg
    IMAG0103 [].jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 89

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I don't think my neck would be able to stand being in such a bent down position for several hours of engraving. One of the main advantages of the scope is to be able to sit upright and look "forward" while keeping you arms at a low comfortable waist high position.

PAUL LANTUCH

Elite Cafe Member
x15 is to much, most of engravings required x5-6 and only for the last precise touch you can double and triple magnification. What is a view circle diameter of this microscope?

Sponsors