Coin Carving with basic tools

Billzach

Elite Cafe Member
I wanted to show the new coin carvers that you don,t need a lot of tools to start coin carving..This was one I carved a few years ago mostly with a hand push flat graver..I did use my gravermax to speed up the cutting of the hair..You can have all the tools money can buy, but practice makes a coin carver improve on each coin...

Attachments

• MVC-082F.jpg
    MVC-082F.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 295

Billzach

Elite Cafe Member
Mark
I,ve a lot of stones, but never use them, I use gesswein sanding sticks..If I were just starting out carving coins I would probably use stones, but the sanding sticks are what I started with and do what I want them to do..Use what works for you.It seems the new and old coin carvers are setting new levels in coin carving everyweek.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Bill that is absolutely fantastic. The modeling of the face is just perfect. Amazing work!! :thumbs up:

Crazy Horse

Elite Cafe Member
When you say "sanding sticks" are you refering to Belt Sanding Sticks or is there something else. I don't see "Sanding Sticks" on the Gesswein web site.

AndrosCreations

Elite Cafe Member
Looks excellent, Bill.... as always... You always do great work and have been an inspiration to all the coin carvers I'm sure... me especially.

I really miss seeing your work popping up on eBay. Hope you're doing well!

Billzach

Elite Cafe Member
Andy
I may start coin carving again next month, I plan to get my wife involved in my coin carving when I start back up..I,ve been making adjustments to my shop setup to allow her to carve.

AndrosCreations

Elite Cafe Member
I'd love to see that, Bill.... even if you could assist each other in the carvings and not just one of you having to carry all those hours of meticulous work. Best to you both!

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
iv'e found the most valuable tools for hobos are the ones you make to use for specific tasks on the coin

Billzach

Elite Cafe Member
Monk
You are so right, I don,t often think or mention the tools I use for different parts of coin carving until someone reminds me..[ps] A flat toothpick is one of my most used tools.

BES

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Billzach!

Hi Billzach!

I is cool concern this direction because very few engravers do it qualitatively!

Your work is magnificent! It is made very purely!
It is worthy Work!

Accept my Congratulations!

Let good luck will be with you when you awake to do new work!
Eric S. Brezhitsky

Latest posts

Sponsors