Critique Request Browning Citori

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I find the comments, or lack of comments very interesting.

yeahhhhhh, me too. I feel like many of us here on the forum are doing him a disservice. I did PM Mexican Engraver and asked if he really would like a public critique that would have some good and bad to it, and got a positive answer back that to me indicated that there was some langauge barrier involved and I did not wish to proceed without full assurance.

Last edited:

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Not that I am any kind of expert, but it seems to me that his style is consistent with other engraved Mexican guns I have seen. It is not "traditional" but in the style of the Mexican school of engraving.

An different example might be the style of custom cars they do; ie, the low rider, as well as the different custom paint schemes that are applied to them.

From what point of view would his work be critiqued, traditional or ethnic?

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Not that I am any kind of expert, but it seems to me that his style is consistent with other engraved Mexican guns I have seen. ?
tecnically I would agree with you, even though this does seem a bit like stereotyping

An different example might be the style of custom cars they do; ie, the low rider, as well as the different custom paint schemes that are applied to them.

I don't see this as a valid comparison, while the style may be different than other cars, most low riders I am familar with are executed very well, and if not, they know it and aspire to better.

In the case of these guns, all the styles and motifs are common types known to engravers across the continents and any comments regarding their execution would be valid.

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Scott,
I was thinking more of style than execution. Most engraving exhibited here has its roots in classic Old World technique. However, styles developed independently in Asia and on the African continent. The work of Charles Wu comes to mind as being uniquely Chinese and has its own "feel." Likewise with work from India, Morocco, or Persia.

It just seems to me that Luis' work is uniquely Mexican, and while we don't know how or where he trained, perhaps that is the style he was taught.

Sponsors