How Do You Say Engrave in Your Country

Ishokenmei

彫金師 (choukinshi) is better for Japanese. 彫刻師 (chokokushi) is both for wood, glass and metal while the first gives the impression of a metal engraver.

僕の趣味は彫金です。boku no shumi wa choukin desu. My hobby is engraving.

僕の趣味は貯金です。boku no shumi wa chokin desu. My hobby is saving money.

When you say choukin, don't forget to say the "u" in choukin. If you do you will say chokin, which means "save money."

笑 (laugh)

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
My Italian isn't very good, but incisore is engraver and incisione is engraving.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sam is correct (as usual):thumbs up: http://www.engravingglossary.com/Hand Engraving Glossary I.htm

"Engravers use a hardened steel tool or even diamond points to cut the design
into the surface, hand engraving was replaced with CNC engraving machines." :shock: I beg to differ!

"The e-engraving.com is unique clear and the best engraving archive on the internet. There is not anything similar on the Internet, in magazines, associations or fairs!" :rolleyes: Really? http://www.engravingglossary.com/index.htm

If you go to the home page you will find that it is all about machine engraving. It is a good resource for machine engravers.

RB

Paulie

Elite Cafe Member
In Flemish and Dutch it is "graveren" and hand engraving is "handgraveren"
A engraver is "graveur"

arnaud

:tiphat:Hoi Arnaud, volgens mij is het nederlands woord voor 'graveur' wel 'graveerder', hoor;) ! 'Graveur' zeggen we in Vlaanderen natuurlijk ook, maar... 't is toch een uit het 'Franse tijdperk' overgenomen woordje hé, zoals bvb. 'chauffeur'? Groeten, Paulie:beerchug:

:tiphat:The Flemish/Dutch word for 'engraver' = 'graveerder', the French word = 'graveur', but... we use a lot of French words in Flanders (Belgium is a bit complicated), so we are used to say 'graveur' as well. Kind greetings, Paulie:beerchug:

Mario Sarto

Elite Cafe Member
The German translation is not right on that dictionary - in German we say "gravieren" for "to engrave".
"Ich graviere" = "i engrave ..."
"Sie graviert" = "she engrave ..."
"Wir gravieren" = "we engrave ..."
"Ich gravierte" = "i engraved ..."

The word for the work of an engraver is "Gravur"

The word for someone who do it professional is "Graveur"

At last - a burin is a "Stichel" and H&C is "Hammer und Meißel"

:)

Jeroen

:tiphat:Hoi Arnaud, volgens mij is het nederlands woord voor 'graveur' wel 'graveerder', hoor;) ! 'Graveur' zeggen we in Vlaanderen natuurlijk ook, maar... 't is toch een uit het 'Franse tijdperk' overgenomen woordje hé, zoals bvb. 'chauffeur'? Groeten, Paulie:beerchug:

:tiphat:The Flemish/Dutch word for 'engraver' = 'graveerder', the French word = 'graveur', but... we use a lot of French words in Flanders (Belgium is a bit complicated), so we are used to say 'graveur' as well. Kind greetings, Paulie:beerchug:

And Mario Sarto states: The word for someone who does it professional is "Graveur" (in german)

So if two of our three official languages in Belgium use the word "graveur", maybe it should be "graveur" in Flemish as well, and not "graveerder", Paulie? It might may make our politics here in belgium a lot simpler...:yes
Just a joke!
As already stated here on the forum: it's a wealth to understand and speak more than one language. The consequence although is they contaminate one-another, what makes them even 'richer'...
Just a thought, not to start a thread on this, although it may be the same with styles in engraving.

Paulie

Elite Cafe Member
And Mario Sarto states: The word for someone who does it professional is "Graveur" (in german)

So if two of our three official languages in Belgium use the word "graveur", maybe it should be "graveur" in Flemish as well, and not "graveerder", Paulie? It might may make our politics here in belgium a lot simpler...:yes
Just a joke!
As already stated here on the forum: it's a wealth to understand and speak more than one language. The consequence although is they contaminate one-another, what makes them even 'richer'...
Just a thought, not to start a thread on this, although it may be the same with styles in engraving.
:tiphat: Yes, Jeroen, I totally agree with your idea:thumbs up:! Maybe we can develop 1 mixed, universal Belgian language of our 3 different national languages! In a nearby future it could at least 'unite' :)rolleyes:) our little country a bit more,....let's hope this solves our situation faster than our politicians are doing:big grin:! Kind greetings, Paulie:beerchug:

GGS

I much prefer being known as an engraver. Not what someone once called me ... A Scratcher.

PAUL LANTUCH

Elite Cafe Member
In Lithuania engraving - "raiŽymas" but often "graviravimas".
In Russia - "rez'ba", "gravirovka".
In Poland -"rytownictwo", "grawerka"

qndrgnsdd

Elite Cafe Member
Here on the North West coast of N. America, while we all speak English Or Canadian "eh?" We have a tradition that has grown out of wood carving, so when I am speaking to another carver in the North West tradition I would say I am a "silver Carver" even though what I do is technically engraving, and I carve lots of other things than silver, since the art style is North West coast I'm a silver carver.

Latest posts

Sponsors